Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for ubuntu version/desktop for 128Mb RAM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for ubuntu version/desktop for 128Mb RAM?

Do people have any suggestions for an ubuntu desktop that would be good on an old laptop with 128Mb RAM (a bit lower actually as the graphics nicks a bit)? I know of Xubuntu obviously, but any others?

Or maybe a different distribution entirely would be better?
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Re: Suggestions for ubuntu version/desktop for 128Mb RAM?

Of the *buntu distro, Xubuntu, which you already seem to be aware of, is the least demanding of architecture. It (is said) to run on minimal machines. As to other distro's, you might want to look at DSL (Damn Small Linux). It only takes 50MBs of space.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Puppy Linux is a good one, as well.
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Minimum requirements:
        DLS - The minimum system requirements are a 386 processor and 8MB of RAM.
        Puppy - Puppy will boot from a minimum PC with 586Mhz CPU and 32Mb RAM
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X