This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

krfb - Less Than Key Does Not Work

I'm a new Kubuntu 18.04.2 desktop AMD64 user. I've installed krfb to allow remoting into desktop from Mobaterm running on Windows 10. Everything seems to work fine except the "<" key displays the ">" key when pressed. On the local Kubuntu monitor the key works. The problem occurs both inside a console terminal window or inside a GUI program such as Kate of Visual Studio Code. I've also tried RealVNC and UltraVNC client programs on Windows, but they have the same problem.

I've researched the problem and there are reports of problems with VNC that are corrected by putting "export XKB_DEFAULT_RULES=base" in the xstartup file. Does krfb use an xstartup file and if so where is it?

In the Settings + Hardware + Input Devices + Keyboard the "Keyboard model" is set to Generic | Generic 101-key PC. I've also tried Generic 104-key PC but that does not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

What make/model keyboard are you using?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The Windows computer has a Dell Model SK-8115 keyboard.

I also tried installing xrdp and connecting with remote desktop. The same problem occurs.

I'm trying Kubuntu 19.04 now.

I've used this same setup with Ubuntu 18.04, Mint, Elementary OS, and Xubuntu with no problem (same keyboards).

Comment

Kubuntu 19.04 has the same problem.

Comment

Tried a Dell keyboard on the Kubuntu system and rebooted. Same problem. Less than (<) key does not work; displays as greater than key (>).

Any ideas
          Last edited by tlanier; Aug 20, 2019, 10:08 AM. Reason: mistake corrected

Comment

IF you have another keyboard, I'd give it a try and see if the same behavior persists.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The keyboards work fine locally. The problem has only happening when using a VNC (krfb or xrdp) type program in Kubuntu.

Comment

I switched back to Ubuntu 18.04.3 desktop with Vino desktop sharing and everything is working now. I was unable to resolve the problem with krfb.

Comment

Working...
                X