X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calligra Stage presentatons working with MS Office at college

Hi
    I want to ask a question.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour?

I test this relatively regularly at the college.

A) I have a perfectly legal copy of MS Powerpoint (tm) and made many presentations with it before I moved to Linux. I always keep several backups of everyting because MS quickly started complaining that the presentation was "corrmpted" and had to "replace" several, random, slides with "a white sheet". Well, as I showed years ago at another forum it is a script in the .xml file that MS puts onto the file when the script is removed the white sheets disappear.

There is a whole cottage industry on the net for "fixing" these supposedly corrupted presentations.

B) I started by using Libre Office to produce .ppt and later .pptx (both tm) and by and large, if they were set to "read only" things generally worked ok.

But,

C) I quickly learned to made a .pdf version which MS would always accept but it did not allow for "animations".

D) So, as a "thing" I have for many years made the original presentation in what is now Calligra Stage and exported to L. O. for .ppt and .pptx and thence to a .pdf.

A lot of people harangued me for going to the trouble but the point was that I always started a session at the college by trying the Calligra ".odp" version first and recently it has been working ok but usually there was a problem with formatting the text. The text always got very big and it was unusable for a lot of the slides.

Well...a few weeks ago this changed.

E) the Calligra Stage version of the presentation has been opening without formatting problems and animations have been working! :0

F) So the question is...has anyone else observed this behaviour in a MS setting?

SIDENOTE: I wonder if this is in any way an end result of the infusion of $100K by Handshake to the Calligra Suite devs?

woodhasalwayspromotedCalligragoingbacktoLinuxforum ssmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I haven't tried Calligra in a while, but that's great news and certainly good to hear!
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Hi dequire
      thanks for the nice message!

As of this instant I opened three different .odp presentations at the college and two went fine and MS complained about the third as being corrupted.

IT IS POSSIBLE... that MS "keeps track of the name", the third had a name from a few semesters ago just saved "as is"...so, dunno...

But the students observed what i was doing and they are getting a tiny glimmer of what open source software is.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Again, as of this instant, I have opened five .odp, open document presentation, with MS at the college, with no problems.
        woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X