X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a question why does driver manager not show drivers

Hi
    I never really thought about this that much but, on my work machine Kubuntu 4.13.3 when I go to driver manager for video drivers there are no drivers listed. Also when I click the "refresh driver list" button a bar appears at the top of the window and nothing appears.

I just assumed, and one knows, what that does, that Kubuntu was automagically getting and configuring the correct driver and that was it, but this just has me wondering.

So, if someone could answer: "why is there no driver list, even of "one" driver " " ?

Also, in KDE Neon dev stable there is no "drivers" at all.

if one searches for "drivers" in settings, one gets Desktop Behaviour and then Displays and Compositor which are kind of normal but still no driver list.

The first computer is running an Intel onboard video card which I don't particularly like but it's ok

The second is running an Nvidia Card.

So anyway it is just an abstract question.

Maybe Kubuntu and KDE are SO automagical that we don't need the list!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Simply means that for 'your system', no drivers are either know or are available. Simple as that.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi
      thanks for the nice and prompt reply!

but... I have another question.

Supposedly Intel dropped driver support for Linux, maybe a year or so ago. But there still needs to be a "video driver" at least provided by KDE.

For Nvidia there is Nouveau.

There are intel drivers in Synaptic such as xserver-xorg-video-intel which IS TICKED GREEN there are also "intel-microcode" and iucode-tool and AMD64-microcode and libdrm-intel1 and libva1 and libva-x11-1 and some other "bus" stuff but I...dunno, I would think that the xserver would at least be listed.

Is it that it maybe it lists things that are off the farm like a proprietary driver?

just a question, and again, thankee!

woody
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Neon does not use the Driver Manager, which is a Kubuntu-Ubuntu specific tool.

Where have you seen that intel no longer supports Linux? I have not seen this, and it would be yuuugge news. They have not provided official support for certain hardware ( cheap 2-in-one convertibles, some Chromebooks) but not Linux in general.

Snowhog is correct, the manager will be mostly blank if toy don't need drivers, but also note that it can take some time for it to finish looking, If you install the Driver Manager in Neon, it may be blank because it may not work with Neon's libraries.

It could also be that the driver manager is borked in Kubuntu, as it should not be 100% blank, I believe it should show a message saying you don't need any or something like that.

I don't have a Kubuntu machine here to verify, I am sure someone here can do so.

Just noticed , but what Kubuntu version are you on, with Plasma 4.13.3 ? Isn't 18.10 at 5.13.5? Typo?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Neon does not use the Driver Manager, which is a Kubuntu-Ubuntu specific tool.

Where have you seen that intel no longer supports Linux? I have not seen this,
          LOL GOOD JOB!! unfortunately I cannot find the particular site. I had reviewed maybe a hundred posts about this...so I apologize I cannot find the particular site.

so... well this is really a non issue since I...woodsmoke...am the only person posting about this particular thing...

Claydoh posted:

Snowhog is correct, the manager will be mostly blank if toy don't need drivers, but also note that it can take some time for it to finish looking, If you install the Driver Manager in Neon, it may be blank because it may not work with Neon's libraries.

It could also be that the driver manager is borked in Kubuntu, as it should not be 100% blank, I believe it should show a message saying you don't need any or something like that.
          so... this is a non-issue and particular to me...but hey...

THANKS FOR THE MESSAGES!!

woody
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X