Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GRUB] After installing second OS the first OS does not show up in Grub menu

I'm borrowing my son's HP Envy laptop for a few days. (i7, 4th generation, 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD). He rarely uses it and has Solus installed. I instaled Kubuntu 18.04.1 in the free space but when I rebooted it went straight to Kubuntu. I commented out the line GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden so now I get a Grub menu but Solus doesn't show. I ran os-prober and update grub. It sees Solus, says it's there but still no menu entry.

How can I get it to give me a choice between OSs on startup?

Edit to ad: In the following image, sda3 is Solus and sda4 is Kubuntu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gpartedCapture.png
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	649376
    Thanks,

ejs
    Last edited by SpecialEd; Sep 12, 2018, 08:27 AM. Reason: added more information
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

I commented out the line GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden so now I get a Grub menu but Solus doesn't show. I ran os-prober and update grub.
    Well, you've done some of the usual things to fix this. Tried re-booting after attempts? Sounds like maybe Solus is temperamental in regard to dual-booting this way. One thing you can fairly quickly try is to use rEFInd to manage the UEFI/EFI booting on this laptop. Worth a try, and it works more often than not. rEFInd is now in the repositories, certainly it is for 14.04 through 18.04 so far -- so you can use Muon to install it. rEFInd shines when it comes to managing UEFI/EFI booting. So when you install it and re-boot, it is the boot menu from rEFInd that you will see, and we hope it will include an entry for Solus.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

btw, my how-to on rEFInd:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

... and btw, if none of that works (but I think it will work), we can always try using the UEFI-firmware boot menus of your laptop to do the booting, which would require entering "BIOS" on each boot and selecting the OS to boot from.

Comment

And remember, also, that you can boot into your Kubuntu and see how your UEFI-"BIOS"-firmware sees your bootable partitions/disks, just issue the command:

sudo efibootmgr -v

to see what is listed and in what order they are listed to boot (BootOrder). Btw, I'm not sure how Solus will be listed, but Kubuntu will be listed as ubuntu, as explained in my how-to's on UEFI:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-fixing-things

Comment

Thanks for all the info Qqmike. I've made a little progress but I'm tied up for most of the afternoon. I'll take more of a look at it tonight.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
            X