Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 530u laptop with Kubuntu 16.04 - power management does not work properly

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Samsung 530u laptop with Kubuntu 16.04 - power management does not work properly

Hello,
    I have a Samsung 530u laptop and have been running Ubuntu and Kubuntu for a couple of years on it. Now all the new kernels in 16.04 version after the linux kernel 4.10.0-28-generic (that is the last one I can use without trouble) have an issue with the power management system - normally if I unplug or plug-in the power cable after a fresh reboot, it still gets recognized but the power manager fails to recognize that after wake-up from sleep.. Now with the last kernel (4.13.0-45) the power manager doess not recognize the plugged in or unplugged power cable anymore even after a fresh start. Also the suspend on lid closing stops functioning once the power manager fails to recognize the connection to power.. Therefore I always have to boot in the old kernel version. This issue is there also with the Ubuntu and Kubuntu 18.04 live image sessions therefore I cannot update the laptop to the new system once the 16.04 support is over..

the output of lspci for my graphic card is:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    the chipset is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80 GHz
    Architecture is x86_64

I would be very grateful if anyone could inquire into this.. I will provide further details if necessary.
    Thank you!

Hello my suggestion for now would be to revert to kernel 4.4.x series as that one should work and it's Long Term release and will be supported for awhile yet. It also has been patched for the meltdown and spectre viruses.
    Good luck
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

16.04 will be supported for three more years, I believe.
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
        Hello my suggestion for now would be to revert to kernel 4.4.x series as that one should work and it's Long Term release and will be supported for awhile yet. It also has been patched for the meltdown and spectre viruses.
        Good luck
        Thank you for the suggestion. In the meantime I had to reinstall the whole system due to another issue (my baby daughter strangely managed to change the resolution of the screen in a way that was not possible to get it permanently back to the actual screen size..) - I tried the 18.04 Kubuntu - at first everything was working ok but after some updates the thing is back to where it was on 16.04.. In my view it also has to do with the Plasma applet for the battery because when I unplug the power cable the fan of the laptop slows down immediately, the battery status is on "charging" still. The hdparm settings (254 or 128) depend on whether the laptop was plugged in or unplugged when I turn on the power switch.. I wish I knew which package is responsible

Comment

Working...
        X