This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Remapping keys?

I just bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad and I'm not crazy about the keyboard. I've always disabled the trackpad as I hate it, and always end up hitting it when typing. Previous THinkpads had fairly small left/middle/right buttons to use for clicks with the trackpoint (which I like when no mouse attached).
    Problem is, the newer pones have huge buttons, so I keep hitting them when typing.

I disabled the trackpad in the BIOS (and also in KDE System Settings just to be on the safe side).
    I'd really like to disable the click buttons -- ideally with a keystroke rather than by disabling the trackpoint in the BIOS.

Any easy way to remap those keys so they do nothing unless activated? I can't see a way to do it in the System Settings

Keyboard looks like this

The old ones looked like this, so I didn't hit those keys

Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Not sure exactly how but you'll have to investigate using xinput you determine button info and go from there.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...te-the-buttons

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I often use xinput to enable / disable my touchpad and/or trackpoint.

Code:
      xinput --list
      to find the id, then
      Code:
      xinput --disable 13
      etc

This will disable (or enable) the pointer and the buttons together. If you want to use the trackpoint but disable the buttons, that looks like it would be possible with the --set-button-map action (described in Claydoh's link).
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Not sure exactly how but you'll have to investigate using xinput you determine button info and go from there.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...te-the-buttons

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
        I often use xinput to enable / disable my touchpad and/or trackpoint.

Code:
        xinput --list
        to find the id, then
        Code:
        xinput --disable 13
        etc

This will disable (or enable) the pointer and the buttons together. If you want to use the trackpoint but disable the buttons, that looks like it would be possible with the --set-button-map action (described in Claydoh's link).
        Thank you both, that's exactly what I needed.
        Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Working...
        X