This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] KRFB - Desktop Sharing

I installed Kubuntu 17.10 and the latest version of KDE Neon, and I"m having a problem with krfb not saving the password for unattended access in desktop sharing. Once I reboot the PC I have to re-enter the password to be able to use krfb's unattended access. I also disabled the KDE Wallet but I didn't think that is needed. I was unable to find any documentation that references anything special that is needed to get this to work. It looks pretty straightforward. l'm new to KDE so I'm not sure if there are any quirks with this application or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Question only - why install Kub 17.10 (when 18.04 is now available) and, even more why install Neon which is based on Kub 16.04 and will be for some while yet. Seems like an unneccessary mix and one which may possibly contribute to problems

Comment

I didn’t want to use a beta version and 18.04 isn’t officially released yet. I’m just trying to get an Ubuntu based KDE distro to work with krfb. That’s why I tried both KDE Neon and Kubuntu. I downloaded the latest stable version of Kubuntu.

I went ahead and downloaded 18.04 to see if it makes any difference and Discover doesn’t even list krfb any more so I'm not sure if KDE has stopped development of it.

Comment

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=krfb

bionic (net): Desktop Sharing utility [universe]
        4:17.12.3-0ubuntu1: amd64 arm64 armhf i386 ppc64el s390x

Bionic will be released in 12 days, April 26, 2018. A beta installed now is, for all practical purposes, as good as the final release. I started with 12.04 as the alpha and it ran without problems. Ditto for 14.04 and 16.04.
        I plan to install Neon 18.04 as soon as it is released.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi James,
          I got exact same problem. Did you managed to find a solution? I tried with sudo krfb. Password able to save, but every reboot i can't able start krfb with sudo permission. Looks like some permission issue even user with admin privileges, but not sure where.

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
            Question only - why install Kub 17.10 (when 18.04 is now available) and, even more why install Neon which is based on Kub 16.04 and will be for some while yet. Seems like an unneccessary mix and one which may possibly contribute to problems
            Neon is based on Ubuntu, not Kubuntu.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by potlurul View Post
              Hi James,
              I got exact same problem. Did you managed to find a solution? I tried with sudo krfb. Password able to save, but every reboot i can't able start krfb with sudo permission. Looks like some permission issue even user with admin privileges, but not sure where.
              I never found a good answer so my solution was to install No Machine. It's free and available for Linux - https://www.nomachine.com . I hope that works for you.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxtech View Post
                I never found a good answer so my solution was to install No Machine. It's free and available for Linux - https://www.nomachine.com . I hope that works for you.
                I have used No Machine in the past, it is easy and very reliable. Recently I have been thinking about using it again to have remote desktop connectivity between my Macs and my Linux box (although I haven't yet taken the plunge).
                Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Working...
                X