This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] System tray icons

Is it still possible to seek some help with Kubuntu 12.04 please?

Into my system tray I have managed to put a 'Display' icon which I would prefer to remove. Browsing these fora it seems I should do a right click thereon and get a 'Remove' option. I do not, I get a pop-up with menu options : VGA1-Screensize; Orientation; Refresh Rate and Configure Desktop. I have tried combining the right click with Ctrl and Alt but still just that pop-up - no remove option.

I also have Kubuntu 16.04 but there find what may be an analogous problem. The calendar, instead of appearing as a date - 04 Apr 2018 - which it does in 12.04 - appears as a trapezoid icon. Tried all sorts of ways of getting from trapezoid to date presentation but had no success.

My thanks to anyone who can help.

Hi Keith, long time no see. How's things down under?

What you need to do is right mouse on the desktop or panel, in an empty area, and choose "Unlock Widgets".
    Then right mouse on that spot again and chose Panel Settings (or Panel Options --> Panel Settings). Then, when you hoover over an icon a dialog pops that allows you to click a small red circle with an "x" in it. That will remove that icon. Be sure to lock your widget when you are done.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

> a small red circle with an "x" in it

Unfortunately I do not get that at that point, what I do get is a small
      white circle with radiating from it four large pointers - up, down, left and
      right. Above is a pop-up with a tool symbol, the words System Tray and a big
      black X. Above that is a bar with options to : Add Widgets - Add Spaces - More
      Options; but no option to delete a widget. Logical thinking suggests that
      also in that bar should be options to : Remove Widgets - Remove Spaces. Back
      to those four pointers and a further right click offers options : System Tray
      Settings - Remove this System Tray ; But I do not want to remove the whole
      system tray, just one widget from it !

> How's things down under?

Cooling down after a hot summer - you may have heard about our bush fires? How are things up top?

Comment

Would you please take a screen shot of what you are seeing, upload it to imgur.com and then copy the 'correct' link for posting in a reply so we can 'see' what you are describing?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I haven't run 12.04 & KDE4 in several years. However, these links may help
          http://www.linuceum.com/Distros/osDesktopIconsKDE.php
          http://www.vntweb.co.uk/delete-icon-from-kde-panel/

Here in Nebraska we've had one of the coldest winters in 110 years, and we have two snow fronts coming in, one tomorrow and another on Sunday. Double whammy. Our avg temp about this time of year should be 60F and we achieved 59 today, after a couple weeks below 30F. We had a week of warmer weather before the late cold spell and the buds on the trees fattened up, but the repeated overnites of 15F killed them and we probably won't get leaves on our trees till late may or early June.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It should be similar to how it is in Plasma 5, but will look different. Right click somewhere on the panel should being up a "configure panel" or "panel options", which will make the panel look like the video below. Also, to the extreme right I think there should be an icon of some sort that will bring up the panel configuration. Again, see below. As you hover over different widgets on the panel, a tab should pop up, where you can click the X to remove it. You may have to right click on your desktop somewhere and un-check "lock widgets"

Also note that each component on a panel is a separate widget - Kicker (Kmenu), the taskbar, the Systray are all movable, and if memory serves, easily removed by accident if you are a klutz like me.

Comment

System tray icons

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Would you please take a screen shot of what you are seeing, upload it to imgur.com and then copy the 'correct' link for posting in a reply so we can 'see' what you are describing?
              Think I have managed that - https://imgur.com/a/gmLEk

and perhaps attached it to this reply.

If this is too abstruse I will live with it. I am actually waiting for v18.04 to come out to see how I cope with that. I tried v16.04 but had difficulties with it and reverted to the familiariy of v12.04 but I recognise that that is now aged.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
                Think I have managed that - https://imgur.com/a/gmLEk

and perhaps attached it to this reply.

If this is too abstruse I will live with it. I am actually waiting for v18.04 to come out to see how I cope with that. I tried v16.04 but had difficulties with it and reverted to the familiariy of v12.04 but I recognise that that is now aged.
                The imgur link is to a image capture of this forum, not of what you are seeing on your desktop when you attempt what you are doing.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Kubuntu widgets

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  The imgur link is to a image capture of this forum, not of what you are seeing on your desktop when you attempt what you are doing.
                  But the white splodge I am getting is there at bottom right corner. However I have now uploaded another screenshot of just my desktop : mPfM3Mv. Why am I getting that splodge and not the red cross, please?

Comment

Working...
                  X