X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail, Thunderbird, zoho mail

I'll keep this short.
    I have to use gmial for my emails out to colleges seeking online teaching positions because it is a very AGED account and has already been given out to many people, so I can't very well get rid of it.

However it does not have one critical function; that of a request for delivery receipt and a read receipt.

And, surprisingly, the paid version does not have the functions either.

Anyway, I "thought" that maybe "another e-mail alternative" might be worth a try and so...I chose Zoho.

General Article describing alternatives

Well. the setup of Zoho was just...amazing in it's simplicity...really...It is a MODEL of clarity and ease.

So...because I need certain things, such as a delivery receipt and a read receipt, that a desktop app can provide I installed Thunderbird and Kmail.

The Thunderbird setup was just ...easy...the only "thing" that was not almost automagical was that there is a setting in Zoho that one has to enable, that of "allowing another app to access it'. But it works with zoho.

Did a test e-mail and it immediately appeared in Zoho and Thunderbird.

TRIED to set up Kmail and, yet again... Gmail would not accept either the username or password submitted by Zoho.

AND...yet again...it would not work with Zoho either, again, Zoho would not accept the username or password submitted by Kmail.

And, on top of it all, STILL even though Thunderbird has a menu option for requesting a delivery receipt and a read receipt, Zoho ITSELF does not have the option, just as the "normal user" version of Gmail, is not there. And...sooo... did a test and...no receipts.

Outlook at the college is the ONLY "full featured" e-mail client and...of course it is PAID for by the college.

>sigh<

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Woody, for years I ran KMail and gmail. I used email forwarding in gmail to forward the mail to my gmail account to my IPS and I used KMail to download the mail from my ISP. Best of both worlds. I used KMail to send mail, so I could keep a copy in my sent box, but had my gmail address as my return address.

That allowed me to create my 4096 byte KGpg key and use it to sign my emails. Having dropped my gmail account more than a year ago I now use KMail for all my email needs.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

right, i used gmail for years with Kmail, as can be attested to by my numerous threads on configuration that are down so far in the dungeons that even Matilda isn't dusting them off anymore.

If I could just use Kmail I would but I have too many contacts spread across the world that are using my gmail addy. It is so old that it now needs a walking stick to get through the aether.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I use my gmail addresses(2) via Thunderbird and I have no problem sending notification receipts. Of course the recipient is always free to ignore them.
        Last edited by SpecialEd; Jun 16, 2017, 05:07 PM.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

SpecialEd

Thank you very much for the reply.

I REGULARLY ...send from my Gmail account messages to my college's Microsoft IMAP account.

I have never actually requested a return or read receipt because they were always from me to me.

However, because of the situation described previously I need a "delivery receipt" and a "read receipt" from my Gmail account to OTHER COLLEGES when I send off applications for online teaching.

When I started this...I found, to my great surprise... no such function in MY " Gmail" account.

To reiterate, I can find no such function in "my" Gmail account.

So, as a test, I emailed ...TO my college, which uses a Microsoft Outlook, IMAP account ...

FROM my "gmail" account that is WITHIN my THUNDERBIRD app... ..a test email.

I checked the functions IN THUNDERBIRD... for delivered / read...

Because Thunderbird, does, indeed, have such functions.

I requested IN THUNDERBIRD, the delivery / read receipts.

The e-mail was delivered to the college account THROUGH Gmail...FROM... the Thunderbird app.

Please remember that the college MS Outlook account can, and does, indeed, respond to such requests.

However, I received NO NOTICE ...in Gmail...or in Thunderbird...a notice of a delivery or a read.

So, since you have posted that you have "it / part of it" working,...

Would you please take the time and effort to list, step, by step, as in step by step, precisely what you did in both Gmail to enable this and in the Thunderbird app to accomplish this.

Also, please, provide the name of your OS and the version of the OS and also of Thunderbird.

What you provide MAY provide help for OTHERS and the poor woodsmoker.

pretty please.

woodsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 16, 2017, 09:47 PM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

You got me woodsmoke, I have misspoken. I can send requests all day long and I will get read receipts if the recipient chooses to return one, but as you say, I can request a delivery receipt but that doesn't mean I get one. For my purposes the fact that I don't get an error message usually sufficed as a "deliver" receipt but that was not the question and obviously doesn't fill your needs.

MEA CULPA!

P.S. now that I got that out of the way, your moniker woodsmoke, is that BBQ related or more of a woodstove, kind of thing?
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Hey, that is OK my man!

As to the moniker...that goes waaaayyyyy back to the days of the "cb" or the "citizen's band" radio. The portable ones that appeared in an affordable price range in the late seventies.

I did not have one, except for maybe a couple of weeks, but I knew enough about Large Scale Integration, LSI electronics that I was approached by people who had them to build for them a "linear" which was an amplifier of the range, output, receiving was always much farther than output.

So I built many a linear for folks but never had one because, since the first wife and I had "returned to the land", the whole hippie "cause de jour" of the time, the causes de jour have just become much more compressed and, whereas they previously lasted for a few years not they last for a few days. Or at least long enough to get some campaign money or a fifteen minutes of fame on the web.

Anyway, a fellow for whom I had built a linear offered to loan me one of his "backups" for my truck, a '57 chevy shortbed with...the... double NOT SINGLE headlamps that had been put in at the end of the second order when they ran out of the original headlamps... so...I said I would like that and he said..."you need a handle" lol...

Well, I had a rather "ambiguous" reputation in the hill folk, a fellow with a master's degree who taught their kids and could still "squat and spit" around a wood fire while we worked on shortening, or lengthening "drive lines" and such...lol...

So, he's thinking...and smoking...he rolled his own from Prince Albert in a can...and yes we never COULD figure out why people stuffed him into a can!!! But that's those limey's for you!! and a little moonshine on the side...

I was also reputed, but nobody ever proved it, to be able to conjur up a cooker if necessary.

a cooker for black strap mollasses... lol...

and he got kind of misty eyed...and said..."ya know...you are kind of like one of those whispy things...what is it a whiporwill or something and his daughter chimed in and said "No dad...that's a will o the wisp your thinking of"..

and so he was thinking and said; "I KNOW... make it woodsmoke!! like smoke risin' from a chimbly...it is there and then it's gone!!

so, when I first was on a forum, it was Castle Cops, I was running Windblows at the time, removing malware through the internet from folks computers I took the handle of woodsmoke.

And then I was at Xandros because I had been exposed to Linux and...the thing just stuck. For good or ill.

woodwasalmostkickedoffaforumbecausethepeopledetest edeventheideaofburningwoodbecause...it would DESTROY the worldsmoke But then, that was during the end of the Great Global Cooling scare...you know...Carl Sagan and all that.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Interesting!
                While teaching science & math at Clarks, NE I lived 5 miles outside that village, about 1/2 mile from the South Platte river. Lots of dead wood and woodlots around. The oil embargo raised the price of propane from 15 cents a gal to $1.75/gal. I lived in the oldest house in Merrick County, built in 1887 out of Cottonwood. I was the 2nd highest paid teacher in that school but my take home was only $700/mo. The old house was "insulated" with balled up newspaper from the 1920s and in the winter, during January, I could go through an entire tank of Propane, i.e., my whole paycheck. So, I started cutting and burning wood. Installed a Warm Morning Wood burning stove and used it from 1974 until I quite HS teaching in 1980. Very nice, very comfortable. Free wood. Often smelled of woodsmoke!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

lol
                  yep, our first house was "insulated" with a layer of newspaper. When we did a small addition we carefully looked for the stray silver dollar that somebody might have hidden between the rough sawn wood! lol nope!

Our first was an Ashley and and at the time the Mother Earth News was extolling the advantages of being "warmed twice, once cutting and second burning"...

I bought in to that when we had our farm, we has an Ashley wood FURNACE which worked VERY well, but... when I went north and left the woods behind and went back several years later, I was stunned by the prevalance of the whole "turpene" smell of wood being burned.

Never looked back.

woodgoodtimesinthemiddleofitbut...gladimpastitsmok e
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                  X