• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gtk technology

Are gtk technologies for kubuntu users?
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

It is possible to run GTK+ apps on KDE and I suspect that most people do so without realizing it. I once tried to run a "pure" KDE desktop but found that several apps (gparted, etc) were still too good to avoid. Now, I ignore what the app was written with and if it is in the repository and I want it I'll install it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

IMO GTK went through a bad patch with the move to GTK 3, tied up with Gnome 3. "bad" is a gross simplification of a stuff at many levels, including what might be called politics, and what might be called attitude ("we know best", "do it our way", "you all know nothing and are fools"). GTK 3 was a rewrite, and code using GTK 2 faced a rewrite too. F.ex. see wikipedia.
        Here in KDE land we recoiled in disgust (at least I did) and tried to have as little to do with GTK as possible. Canonical recoiled from Gnome 3 and wrote their own DE, Unity, and generally DEs proliferated. Many projects decided to move away from GTK, there's even a category on wikipedia.

After a lot of years, 8 or so, attitudes softened (I don't know why, I'm out of touch now, not that I had much touch ever). Some projects that had put off doing anything bit the bullet and moved to GTK 3, and there might have been some that moved back. Canonical are going back to Gnome 3.

In the early days of GTK 3 there could be problems with settings, to have full control of the UI one had to have parts of Gnome 3 running, and that was flaky and broke often. I suspect there's now better separation between GTK and Gnome now, with all those DEs about, but I'm speculating.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X