This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backups application queries

I'm trying to find a user friendly way to backup off of my main disk to my NAS on my local network. Up til now every backup application I tried could not navigate to the LAN to set a destination.
    Yesterday I discovered the 'Backups' application in Settings, which does let you navigate to the NAS. Sadly, so far Backups does not want to start and has not backed anything up on schedule. And there is no manual way to start it via the System Tray icon as it is supposed to. A clue is the tooltip on the system tray icon says "Backup destination not available". Even though the NAS is available and open and active in Dolphin at the same time. Dolphin and Krusader have no problem accessing the read/writable share on the NAS. So it looks like another backup application that fails.
    Does anybody have experience of the Backups program or know of any user friendly (not command line) way to copy files to a NAS as the Backups program does. (see screenshot)
    I'm on Kubuntu 21.10
    Click image for larger version  Name:	backup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.2 KB ID:	658679
    Thanks.
    Edit: After some searching I believe the Backups application might be also called "Kup" https://invent.kde.org/system/kup
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ianp5a; Dec 05, 2021, 03:38 AM.

I've now found this is a bug. https://invent.kde.org/system/kup/-/issues/16
    Also: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=445391
    Last edited by ianp5a; Dec 05, 2021, 03:48 AM.

Comment

The bug reports are useless w/ no info that will help any dev.

The issue is likey do to SMB not supporting the permissions that Rsync is trying to copy stuff with.

Lets talk about about your NAS setup .. How do you mount the shares ? does it require auth ? etc..
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        Lets talk about about your NAS setup .. How do you mount the shares ? does it require auth ? etc..
        The shares are not mounted. If they were they'd appear as local folders. So I have to use the file selector in the Backups app to navigate to the local network and select a folder on a share. Once done it stores a smb path as the backup destination.
        The shares were created via the WD web interface of the Western Digital NAS. They are accessible in Dolphin and also on other network devices such as Android phones and a Windows PC.
        Last edited by ianp5a; Dec 05, 2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Kup has: Support for local filesystem or external usb storage.
          So, if it does not natively support remote storage, or kio-fuse, then it will only work when the share is mounted - such as when you open it in Dolphin or a file-picker, and it creates a temporary mount point.
          You could add the share to your fstab, and then kup would work.

Comment

Well you maybe want to have them mounted for rsync. Your nas should support rsync mode see if you can enable that and use it in place of SMB

Comment

I never found any GUI way for people to mount network shares. I suspect there is an easy way. I can't imagine any technical reasons not to have one. It's easy to mount local drives via a GUI.
              Last edited by ianp5a; Dec 05, 2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I don't know about that as tbh its way easier to just do it via the CLI that i never ever once looked for a gui tool...

I think you can use removable disk widget in the system tray but not sure how this works for network shares.

to add to your /etc/fstab you would add a like like this

SERVER/sharename /mnt/mountpoint cifs username=username,password=password,workgroup=workgroup,iocharset=utf8,uid=username,gid=group,users

you will need to make the /mnt/mountpoint folder for it be able to mount the share.
                you can then test you have it correct with the command

Code:
                sudo mount -a

Comment

Thanks, but I need to hold out for the GUI way. As I need to share this knowledge with other non-IT people. I don't want to tell them that Kubuntu fails at something very basic, yet very important for people to be able to do their backups. Also I'll certainly have to make changes some time in the future. Where I can return to a familiar place in a GUI and see what I did.

Comment

Working...
                  X