This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title Bar disappears

I have 16.04 installed on a 64-bit Intel-Icore-3 pwered system.

Sometimes when I start it up, it opens with the System Settings window open.
    Even when it isn't and I open it, the same thing happens when I try to close it using the top-right 'X',
    it will crash leaving the KDE notification window explaining the obvious.

I mention this because it may be related to the larger problem which sometimes the title bar on every open application will disappear.
    The only wa to close is then to right-click on the corresponding icon on ther task-bar.

Show us the output of
    sudo lshw

Off hand, I'd say that your ISO download or burn, or both weren't righteous. Did you checksum the ISO against the value listed on the download site? And run the check option of the liveUSB/CD before you installed?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The iso was hash checked before burning.
      Install was trouble free.
      When I attempted to file a bug report I found that almost 40 others had done so before me.
      It was described as a 'known' bug.
      So far this morning though it has behaved well.

Comment

Can you post a screen-shot of what you are seeing?

Comment

What I am currently seeing are normal windows with the title bar but yesterday, odd things would make them disappear.
          It is just possible an update has cured the problem. I'll have to wait and see.

Comment

An intermittent problem I have, and about the only nit remaining, is that when a secondary dialog pops up the text on it is often a garbled collection of lines and boxes, with occasional small letters in between. Sometimes closing and reopening the dialog box clears it up. This will occur on primary GUI's as well. Synaptic will do this. A popup on FF will do it as well. None of them have options to change the default font size, that I've been able to find, so the font, which appears to be size 9 or less, is not changeable. Neither do those apps read the default font settings in SystemSettings5.

Annoying as it can be, I can live with it until an update fixes it. Were it not for this defect my 16.04 installation would be perfect!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              ..... dialog pops up the text on it is often a garbled collection of lines and boxes, with occasional small letters in between. Sometimes closing and reopening the dialog box clears it up. This will occur on primary GUI's as well. .......

That has been my issue and was curious as to what Pinnerite was actually seeing. If it is the removal if the Decorations all together I'm not sure. I had that issue many years ago but can't quite remember what caused that. I'm thinking it was the decoration theme but not sure.

Comment

Here is an issue I have from time to time as well. As you can see some of the decoration is missing but not all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	643317

Comment

Well it has happened again.

What is clear is that if I switch system settings to Classic mode, the window will crash on closing. I cannot yet say if that is the trigger for other events later.

For the last hour or so I have been in and out of applications such Dolphin, Konqueror (my preferred file manager), konsole, switching to root using su -, chromium browser, mysql and attempts at mythbackend-setup. It was fine for a while, then the complete title bar on all open windows with decorations disappeared. I could not then bring any particular window to the fore and had to close as much as I could from the task-bar icon-descriptors before shutting down or logging out.

Either brings it back with title bar restored.

Comment

Working...
                  X