This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Wallet

I am going to transition back to KDE and want to begin using more KDE software. In the past I had always disabled KWallet, however I have started to use KeepassX, and now wonder what I ever did before having a password manager. I am wondering how many of you experienced KDE users use KWallet vs. another password solution and why? It seems that after initial set up it would be nice to have the KWallet integration instead of using a third party app.

As with any such question, the answer is always going to be user dependent.

IMO, KWallet works fine; no need to use a third-party password manager. IF you are the only user of your PC, then setting the KWallet Master Password to nothing (hitting return in the password entry field(s)) means you don't have to provide a password in order for KWallet to be accessed by programs that call on it.

To use KWallet or not to use KWallet is a personal choice.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Paul! "setting the KWallet Master Password to nothing (hitting return in the password entry field(s)) means you don't have to provide a password in order for KWallet to be accessed by programs that call on it." ---This is exactly the kind of helpful information I was looking for. I'm hoping to make my installation as painless as possible! I appreciate it.

Comment

I've used kwallet as my password manager for many years now. I don't use the default wallet for this; I set the default wallet to a space, and use a longish pass phrase on my passwords wallet.
        I've twice been very much helped by this practice, retrieving old passwords from backups of old installs under time pressure. I haven't tried that using the new GPG-based encryption, though.
        If there was a cloud based service I could really trust, and trust the whole chain to it (and so not through a browser), I'd be better off; presently I need to get KDE 5 up to get to my passwords.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X