X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma-discover? anybody got any info?

ohai, KFN

Just installed plasma-discover because bored and it's fairly interesting (and a tiny bit unstable in Sid). I can find no configuration files and there's no man page, so I can't figure out how to configurate how often it checks for updates.

Does anybody know how often it checks or where to set it? Reason I ask is that although I installed it yesterday afternoon and it said my system was current this morning there were well over 100mb of updates available this morning.

Anybody got any insight on this applet?

Thanks -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Discover itself does not check for updates, you need the updater/notifier component - plasma-discover-updater

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Discover itself does not check for updates, you need the updater/notifier component - plasma-discover-updater
      Yup - it's installed. Do you know if there's a place I can configure how often discover checks for updates?
      -- anais nin

Comment

There isn't, I think it uses (ana)cron for that.
        There are some rough settings in software-properties-kde (the Configure Software Sources or similar in Discover) if you have that installed. Daily/2 days/weekly/biweekly. This is is the same thing Ubuntu uses for updates, the updater/notifier is called after any package list updates happen and there are packages to upgrade.

So, if I am right on this, the updater/notifier itself does not actually do the updating , so there is no setting to change there. You would have to add a cron job to run apt-get update at your specified interval.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          There isn't, I think it uses (ana)cron for that.
          There are some rough settings in software-properties-kde (the Configure Software Sources or similar in Discover) if you have that installed. Daily/2 days/weekly/biweekly. This is is the same thing Ubuntu uses for updates, the updater/notifier is called after any package list updates happen and there are packages to upgrade.

So, if I am right on this, the updater/notifier itself does not actually do the updating , so there is no setting to change there. You would have to add a cron job to run apt-get update at your specified interval.
          I know it's not in the system cron but I didn't think about anacron; I can look in there.

Got a couple other ideas now that I've thought about it a little bit. Think I'll wait until the next time it says I have no updates and then run apt update and see if the message changes

Thanks, claydoh -
          -- anais nin

Comment

You were right, claydoh - I got home from work, discover said no updates available. Ran apt update and the two updates that were available showed up in discover - so all I have to do is run a cron job to update sources from time to time

Thanks -
            -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
            X