Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Plasma 5.5] How get image preview in file manager?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Plasma 5.5] How get image preview in file manager?

I know in Dolphin we can click preview to show a snapshot of the image in file manager. But how to make it a default option (for image files), so that I don't have to click "preview" everytime?
    Furthermore, if I am using FIrefox browser and uploading files from my computer, it uses a file manager which is unknown to me and it doesn't show any preview, which make it totally unusable. Please see the screenshot. I know there must be a way to have image preview in this situation, but just don't know where to start. Could anyone help?

Update: I noticed that in some of the websites, it does start a file manager with preview, but some just don't. Like the one in the screenshot.

I'm new to Kubuntu, sorry if I am asking silly questions.

In Dolphin, open "Configure Dolphin", in the side bar click "General", then click the preview tab and select the file types you want to preview
    Last edited by GerardV; Jul 19, 2016, 01:47 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. However, although it sound ridiculous, but I just could not find the Dolphin setting options you mentioned above. I also googled to get an idea how the setting menu should look like. But no, it seems that I just don't have this options in my Dolphin. The only setting-related options I could find are Kwin and some special application settings. I also pressed alt+space to fire up KRunner and search for Dolphin setting. No result.
      I am running Kubuntu 16.04. I have made no special changes to the system after a clean install.
      Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Comment

Not sure where your dolphin menu is but what you're looking for is in dolphin under Settings --> Configure Dolphin.

I had the same issue but my problem was that I started with a minimal KDE install and just hadn't installed relevant packages; that shouldn't be an issue with Kubuntu.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Given the image of Dolphin you provided, what is in Control?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Handbook included

The menubar (hidden by default), which provides access to all commands and configuration options. See the Command Reference for a list of all menu commands. The menubar can be toggled with Show Menubar (Ctrl+M) from the Settings menu or the Control button.

The Handbook is also available: https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/appl...hin/index.html

I know in Dolphin we can click preview to show a snapshot of the image in file manager. But how to make it a default option (for image files), so that I don't have to click "preview" everytime?
            From the Handbook - Folder View Properties: https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/appl...roperties.html

Folder View Properties

The following settings control how the contents of a folder are displayed in the Dolphin view, and are stored on a per-folder basis by default:

The view mode (Icons, Compact, Details)

The sorting of items, which is determined by the sort order (ascending, descending) and the attribute (such as name, size,...) that the items are sorted by

Sorting of folders and files – are folders shown first or not?

Previews – are they shown instead of icons (based on the settings made in Previews tab of Dolphin's General settings) or not?

Are items shown in groups in the views?

Are hidden files shown?

What additional information (besides the name) is shown in the Icons or Details view?

The view properties can be configured in the View menu, some (such as the view mode) can also be changed using toolbar buttons.

The View Properties Dialog

The View Properties dialog can be used to quickly modify several view properties at once. This is done for the current folder, for the current folder including all subfolders, or even for all folders, depending on the choice made in the Apply View Properties To section.

If Use these view properties as default is enabled, the chosen view properties will also be used for all folders which do not have customized view properties yet.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Firefox & KDE

...I am using FIrefox browser and uploading files from my computer, it uses a file manager which is unknown to me and it doesn't show any preview, which make it totally unusable...
              Bug 298848 - Use native KDE Filepicker because more features: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298848

AskUbuntu - How to Use KDE Dialogs in Gtk Apps: http://askubuntu.com/questions/11948...gs-in-gtk-apps
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
              X