X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] OpenGL Applications have framerate cap

Hello all!
    I encountered the following problem when upgrading from Kubuntu 15.10 to 16.04: I have a 144hz monitor, which I use when playing TF2 for the most part. The issue is that ever since 16.04, TF2 (as well as other games) runs with a max framerate of around 60 fps. This contradicts what the game says my framerate is on the netgraph (130-250 fps). The only conclusion I can come to is that OpenGL is capping the allowed framerate. I have the most recent drivers installed (361.42), and have fiddled with the NVIDIA X Server Settings quite a bit, but to no avail. I have found no help from my searching on the interwebs. Has anyone else here encountered a similar problem or have any suggestions? It's almost unplayable in the current state. Thanks!

sounds to me like your refresh rate is set to 60HZ and VSync is on...
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

My apologies for not supplying this additional information. The monitor is set to 144 Hz in both the X server configuration and xrandr. I can tell by the movement of the best mouse, which is at 144hz. It's just the in-game frame rate that is capped. Also, I turned off v sync. Also, I get the proper frame rate when I play on plain Ubuntu 16.04, so it's something to do with how KDE interacts with OpenGL. I also had no problems of this sort with 15.04-.10, so it's a new thing.

Comment

try disableing the compositor use alt+shift+F12 , or try disable composite for fullscreen windows (system settings -> display -> compositor)

for the game you can also try in system settings -> display -> compositor -> tearing prevention to NONE . this is vsync setting or the compositor

also check system settings -> display -> config to be sure refresh rate is 144 (under advanced)
        Last edited by sithlord48; May 17, 2016, 07:11 AM.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Disabling the compositor worked! Thank you! My frames are beautiful now!

Comment

Working...
          X