Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friggin Virtualvbox. Installing Kubuntu 14.04 for the FOURTH TIME. Thanks Oracle.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friggin Virtualvbox. Installing Kubuntu 14.04 for the FOURTH TIME. Thanks Oracle.

Jesus. I spent all day Saturday installing Kubuntu and getting it all configured and set up. Then I decided that I didn't need Windoze at all and that I'd just do a small Windows 7 installation in Virtualbox. I went to the Virtualbox website and downloaded 5.0 for my Kubuntu 14.04. I installed it, rebooted, and found that I had no x-server anymore. Lacking the knowledge to reinstall just that, I decided to reinstall Kubuntu. Inconvenient, but I had all the backups. So I reinstall it and decided to install Virtualbox 4.3.28. I've got that version running fine on my Dell laptop. So I install it, reboot and the exact same thing happens. X is gone. So I install Kubuntu for a THIRD time. This time I check Muon Software and install Virtualbox from there. It's version 4.3.1, but what the hell? There's no Virtualbox extension pack for 4.3.1, so I upgrade to 4.3.3. I reboot and X is gone once again. So, at 11:30 on Sunday night when I need my computer on Monday, I'm re-installing once again. Does anyone have any idea why Virtualbox keeps killing my X-server? This desktop is an Acer Aspire AME600. I'm using HDMI out - I have no standard monitor here. Also, a link to a real guide to just reinstalling the X-Server would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Vbox 5

I installed vbox5 from the web site. Everything works fine. I am using nvidia drivers instead of Noveau. Installed win7 in a vbox. It was slow until i enabled 2d/3d acceleration and gave it 2 CPU's (my host has a total of 6) and 8Gb ram (host has 16).

As for reinstall X, have you tried from command line
    sudo apt-get remove --purge kubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get autoremove -y && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

if that doesn't work, you could try
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop or
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    either would at least get you a gui
    Last edited by vsreeser; Jul 20, 2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-tip...ng-ubuntu.html

But try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" before you reinstall
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
      X