This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasmashell 5 crashes need to install debug symbols

Running 15.04 and KDE Development Platform 4.14.8. Plasma 5.3 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
    Experiencing a lot of plasmashell crashes, black screen on log in (using when trying to switch users).

Trying to report the crash, but when I click on install debug symbols it tells me it can't find them. The error is;

The packages containing debug information for the following application and libraries are missing:

• /usr/bin/plasmashell
    • /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5
    • /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Quick.so.5

Do I need to add a different repository for the debug symbols?

Thanks,
    Mike

you nead to find what package provides the files/programs and install the *-dbg package for it

plasmashell comes from plasma-workspace so do a
    Code:
    apt search plasma-workspace
    and see if their is a "plasma-workspace-dbg" if so install it

same for "libqt5core5a" and "libqt5quick5"

PS found what package provides the files/programs in question with http://packages.ubuntu.com/

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny.

I get
      Code:
      [COLOR=#18B218][FONT=monospace]plasma-workspace-dbg[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace]/vivid,now 4:5.3.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1 amd64 [installed] 
      [/FONT][FONT=monospace] Plasma Workspace for KF5[/FONT]
      Wonder why the crash reporting tool doesn't see it. Both "libqt5core5a" and "libqt5quick5" do not show and -dbg packages.

Comment

If you click "continue" on the crash handler tool, it does offer to install 2 debug packages, including plasma-workspace-dbg iirc - I am going through this now, as I have actually started seeing plasma crashes for the first time in ages. I *think* that the needed debug symbols that it is complaining about are contained in it.

Comment

Well, it seems to generate a useful backtrace after installing the plasma-workspace and the mesa-related debug symbols, for me.

Comment

Thanks claydoh, I will install the mesa debug symbols and wait for the next crash. Unfortunately it's to the point where I can't even get back into my account. Usually either plasmashell or ksmserver are eating all my cpu and I just get the black screen when I try to switch users from my wife's account.

Comment

The mesa one could be specific to me, as I am using xorg-edgers ppa at the moment, so it might not be relevant to you. Next time you get the crash handler tool, just click "continue" when you get to the place where it gripes about the missing symbol packages, and let it install the suggested packages.

Comment

Working...
              X