Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin auto-sizing columns: set this to default?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Dolphin auto-sizing columns: set this to default?

I cannot say how much I love Dolphin under KDE. WOW.

I never realized it until I go back to a windows (explorer) or os-x (finder) environment. How much is taken for granted when it is not to be found (in those other, lesser file managers).

I mean, Finder is pretty sweet-looking, but that's about it. It get annoying as hell REAL fast (don't get me started). I am also annoyed that Mavericks and Yosemite have such issues with NFS mounts. WTH, apple?

Poor Explorer needs to keep looking... it was better under windows 7, and sucks in windows 8. Though, to be fair, the progress pop-up window in Windows 8.1 is REALLY nice, the stacking copies (no more individual window for each operation), the progress graphs, etc. Best part about the file manager is the progress window. LoL.

Anyway, one thing I miss that windows has is the CTRL+ NUMPADplus to auto-resize/fit columns pretty much anywhere, but Explorer particularly. Now, I know Dolphin has this ability via a right-click on the label bar, then selecting from a popup menu. OK... but... where can I set "Automatic Column Widths" as the default option? That it is only over-ridden if I manually move a column width?
    i7-4770k / 16GB RAM / nVidia GTX760 / other stuff
    main OS: Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + SteamOS 1.0 (beta) + Windows 8.1 Pro (collecting dust)

If I right-click on the label bar, I have the option to choose automatic or custom widths. However I have "remember properties for each folder" enabled in Control > Configure Dolphin > Preferences. I bet if I switched to "common properties for all folders" then chose "automatic widths" that would become the default. I'll leave it to you to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SeijiSensei View Post
      If I right-click on the label bar, I have the option to choose automatic or custom widths. However I have "remember properties for each folder" enabled in Control > Configure Dolphin > Preferences. I bet if I switched to "common properties for all folders" then chose "automatic widths" that would become the default. I'll leave it to you to experiment.
      Indeed it does remember it for all future windows opened... however, if one changes anything, the Auto-resize is deselected and no longer a "default" behavior.

While the method you describe (and that I've been using) is fairly ghetto, I was hoping for a more robust option that would:
      1) New Dolphin windows -> columns Auto-sized
      2) Manually resize column(s) of a particular window -> column Auto-size overridden for that window.
      3) Open another window (or browse elsewhere) -> back to column Auto-sized

I guess they don't "force" the auto-size on people because it would be very annoying to resize something (for whatever reason) and have it snap back. Got that. But at least don't "detoggle" the auto-resize option for the next / future windows. Heck, even if I go BACK to the one I manually resized, it could re-enable the resize (after all, we checked "common properties" in the config).
      i7-4770k / 16GB RAM / nVidia GTX760 / other stuff
      main OS: Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + SteamOS 1.0 (beta) + Windows 8.1 Pro (collecting dust)

Comment

Working...
      X