This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE Menu Editor doesn't save changes

I was trying to create a new item on KDE Menu Editor. I've downloaded a .tar file of Eclipse and extracted it into opt folder. So, as I understand, I should create a new item to include it in the applications menu of kickoff Application Launcher. The thing is, when I create a new item it seems the kmenuedit doesn't save changes, because when I check it, it doesn't appear.

Could you tell me if I am doing right? What I am missing?.

By the way, Eclipse address is: opt/eclipse, but inside eclipse there others folders and files, should I choose any file particulary or is enough choosing the folder eclipse?.

Thank in advance for your help.

You need to select the executable file, or enter the correct, full command to run the program. Assuming you gave it a name/description and selected an icon for it, the only thing I can think of is that I have seen the menus not update automatically sometimes, so it may not show for a bit, or until logging in again.

Comment

Just in case, you are clicking the "Save" button, aren't you? I've always found that surprising for a KDE component.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank you both for your help, but I couldn't solve it until now. Here are my answers:

jlittle Just in case, you are clicking the "Save" button, aren't you? I've always found that surprising for a KDE component.
        Yes, I did.

claydoh You need to select the executable file, or enter the correct, full command to run the program. Assuming you gave it a name/description and selected an icon for it, the only thing I can think of is that I have seen the menus not update automatically sometimes, so it may not show for a bit, or until logging in again.
        I select the executable file. In the folder it is "eclipse", with a gear picture icon. Is that correct?.

I did another thing what every newbie should do before to write in the forum . I red the Chapter 2: Adding a menu entry on the KDE docs http://docs.kde.org/. But, I couldn't find the solution. I don't really understand the part that says:
        If you do not know the executable name of an application use the locate command to search for the desktop file and enter the string from the Exec line as command here.
        I have looking to other software's configurations and I found different kind of commands written on "Command" field.

I'd appreciate any help regarding this.

Comment

'locate' is a command line tool to find files, but you already know where the file is so you don't need it.

Not sure why it is not saving, but you have to make sure that the full path to the 'eclipse' executable file (the one you have been using to run it) is correct. If you browsed to the file using the editor's file browser, it should have put this into the field when you selected it.
          Make sure you select an icon for it, too that empty square box near the name section. You can select an existing icon that you like, or select the Browse option an navigate to the xpm file in your Eclipse folder, icon.xpm or something like that.

If is still does not save, you can always just drag the 'eclipse' file directly to your taskbar, and it should place an icon there, you should be able to rightclick that and change the icon, I believe.

Comment

Very very often I find that items added to the KDE menu don't appear straight away, but do some hours later

Try running the following command after saving the edits:
            Code:
            kbuildsycoca4
            It may help

I haven't installed eclipse on my current system but on a previous install the executable was opt/eclipse/eclipse.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

It worked!. I did what you suggested and it is working now. I think the first thing I did wrong was not to define the icon picture. As "SecretCode" said, some hours later it appeared.

Thank you all for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X