This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Ethernet not working, but Wifi does

So I installed Kubuntu 14.04 with a USB wireless adapter. The wireless worked right from the start and has never had an issue. Yesterday I decided that because I am only a few feet from the router that I should just go hard wired. I connected the ethernet cable from the router (port 1), to my onboard ethernet controller and unplugged my USB adapter. I got no connection. The red X over the ethernet connection in the bottom right and everything. No connection. I went through the manual steps of adding a wired connection and everything, no luck. Am I missing something here? Are there some tricks to getting this to work? It's amazing to me that a wired connection wont work out of the box but a wireless connection will. I have an FX-990 Motherboard if that helps to figure out what ethernet controller I have.

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks folks and I hope I can get this resolved.

What's the output of ifconfig in a konsole window?

Comment

I just managed to fix it somehow. I plugged straight into the modem then connected the router back up, plugged into port 1 on the router and bam, suddenly the connection works. I guess mark as resolved, though I'm not sure why it works now, but it does.

Comment

Layer 3 fairies, most likely.

Comment

Thank you kindly for attempting to dive into this issue with me. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X