This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] KDE 15.04 Alpha 2 review at wordpress

I got this through OMG Ubuntu on my phone and was amazed to see that there are TEN PAGES to the review...so I read it on the computer and the read is WELL WORTH IT.....

https://kver.wordpress.com/2015/01/2...ial-breakdown/

I think this release is gonna......well be great in many, many ways.

I just have two comments:

a) the default appearance, to be able to be modularized with QT is the new "flat" thing......but bright and shiney.......the default wally is almost the same that came out with NetRunner a few months ago.

Apparently all the icons, etc, are now vector graphics......woah......

I, personally do not like the "flat" / "metro" ( called Breez) appearance, but there are complelling reasons for it that can be discovered in the reading, because of the modular approach of QT there are all sorts of "nuances" that will improve over the older "flat / metro".......apparently.

Well I was commenting to myself......that they ought to have some kind of "button" to do a wholesale change to the "older oxygen" appearnce and guess what........a few paragraphs later:

b) He did not cover but referenced:

the ‘megathemes’ feature added in this release, which are capable of switching the entire look-and-feel of a Plasma-based system in a single click.
    I think that I'm going to replace Krunner on the big screen t.v. with just to see what's happenin....because the thing apparently can "adapt" itself to high res DPI, not that the t.v. is hi DPI but to just see what i looks like lol

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 23, 2015, 11:03 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Mega themes or Look and Feel

Choose your Look and Feel experience: http://notmart.org/blog/2014/08/choo...el-experience/

To start, there will be a “Breeze” and an “Oxygen” experience...
    Technically, Look And Feel themes are plasma packages, that contain two things: configuration files for defaults such as icons, colors, cursors etc
    and QML files for certain parts of the workspace ui, such as the splashscreen, the lockscreen etc, allowing from very simple things (like a theme that just sets icon theme, widget style etc) to very comprehensive ones, that change completely the logout dialog, lockscreen etc.

When the “Breeze” and the “Oxygen” are installed the KDE system Settings has an option to quick change multiple things.

Last edited by Wheel Inventor; Jan 24, 2015, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Hi Wheel inventor....

I don't know that we have acutally exchanged phosphors before! welcome!

Thanks very much for the animated graphic of that which I referenced!

IT IS VERY INTERESTING....

I........PERSONALLY..........think..........and it is just my opinion......

I personally think that THAT ONE THING should be the very first, over and over again, talking point on ANY blog, website, thread, etc about this release.......

Is the "one click" change .......before the other KDE based OSs jump on it.....

It is my PERSONAL observation over many decades that "most" people "just use the computer for stuff" and they don't really want to change..........as long as it works then that is good...

They DO like to change the wallpaper, maybe some different smileys for their chatrooms etc..

Now......a lot of Linux people really do want to get involved with the guts of things......

But.......... there has been a continuuing bunch of threads here at the forum about the OS that is better than jelly on toast about..........."why is it that Kubuntu doesn't rank higher at DistroWatch?"

The people who are off into #! or into PURE KDE or Fedora or SUSE or whatever will probably never "change" to Kubuntu.......

And .........a lot of people really do like "the old style" of things......whether it is an XP look alike or Oxygen.....

AND a lot of peope remain confused about "activities" and "widgets" and such.......

I think that if the "one click change" was really trumpeted that it would catch peoples imaginations enough to dismiss the misgivings about activities and widgets.

I think that people would try it in droves! just a thought.

I'm really looking forward to the new stuff that is apparently in KDE connect!

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 24, 2015, 04:45 PM.
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X