This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to fix Launcher icons?

Hello! I have a problem with the way how icons are being displayed on Launcher. For some programs when I open them the icon theme won't apply and the original icon appears.
    For example, when SMPlayer is pinned on the Launcher (and closed) the icon theme is applied:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_001.png
Views:	1
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	648850

But when I open the program, the icon changes like so:

Name:	Selection_003.png
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	648851

What can I do about it, how to fix this? Please, If you know how to solve this, explain to me (with steps if possible). Thanks ))

What launcher is that?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      What launcher is that?
      I guess I wasn't correct, that is just a panel to which I pin program icons.
      The panel (or as I called it launcher) itself looks like this:

Name:	Selection_002.png
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	642650
      Last edited by Ksiencha; Dec 27, 2014, 01:13 AM. Reason: missed a word

Comment

Is that a regular KDE panel or something else? I've never seen one like that, with the subtle Kubuntu logo at the bottom. Is that the equivalent to the Kickoff menu on the regular panel?

As to the issue with the theme, it could be that there's a separate icon for when programs are running. The theme would need to include icons for both the closed and running states. Rog knows a lot more about theming than I do, perhaps he can chime in if he sees this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Is that a regular KDE panel or something else? I've never seen one like that, with the subtle Kubuntu logo at the bottom. Is that the equivalent to the Kickoff menu on the regular panel?

As to the issue with the theme, it could be that there's a separate icon for when programs are running. The theme would need to include icons for both the closed and running states. Rog knows a lot more about theming than I do, perhaps he can chime in if he sees this thread.

Yep, it's a regular panel. The Kubuntu logo is Homerun Launcher (yes, equivalent to Kickoff).
          Could you, please, give me the link to Rog's profile so that I can message him and ask for help?

Comment

Testing / Usual suspect

Testing at here...

- making a small empty panel to the left side. Using DarkAir plasma theme: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=120231
            - adding there few launchers. Using Dalisha icon theme: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166510

Seem to work at here.

Something to try / Usual suspect

The KDE is caching things to the:/var/tmp/kdecache-<USERNAME>/ alternative path (symlink) is /home/<USERNAME>/.kde/cache-<HOST_NAME>/

Everything from the cache directory can be removed. The KDE will fill the cache again.

The icon cache is: icon-cache.kcache . Sometimes the icon cache information is obsolete or damaged.

Something to try:

1) change the icon theme to the another.
            2) remove the icon cache.
            3) change the icon theme to the wanted.
            Last edited by Rog132; Jan 01, 2015, 06:28 AM.
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
              Everything from the cache directory can be removed. The KDE will fill the cache again.

The icon cache is: icon-cache.kcache . Sometimes the icon cache information is obsolete or damaged.

Something to try:

1) change the icon theme to the another.
              2) remove the icon cache.
              3) change the icon theme to the wanted.
              I really appreciate all your help, but this solution doesn't work in my case (really have no idea what is wrong). I did all the above 3 steps. I was working with /var/tmp/kdecache-ksiencha/ path and after that I even removed all of the content from that folder, but it didn't help. One thing I noticed though was that the file icon-cache.kcache was immediately restored with the same size (10.1 MiB) as it was before, is that ok?

I will be glad to hear if there's anything else I can do in this situation.
              Thank you
              Last edited by Ksiencha; Dec 27, 2014, 01:27 PM. Reason: missed the word

Comment

Try#2

How are you making the launcher panel ?

In my first try - there is a empty panel and there are only the launcher buttons.

Trying another way.

- making a small empty panel to the left side.
                - adding there a task manger widget.
                - launching the applications - right clicking the task manager icon and picking the "Show Launcher When not Running" option "

Now the SMPlayer icon is the SMPlayer logo when the player is running.

The SMPlayer icons are themeable - SMPlayer > Prefrences > Interface: Icon set.

By the SMPlayer forum: http://forum.smplayer.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5259

The logo icon is the logo.png

Copying the Dalisha smplayer.png 64x64 icon to the /usr/share/smplayer/themes/Oxygen-Air/ (1) and rennaming it : logo.png.

Changing the SMPlayer icon theme to Ogygen-Air. With the new logo:

(1) smplayer-themes:

:~$ apt-cache show smplayer-themes
                Package: smplayer-themes
                Priority: optional
                Section: universe/graphics
                Description: complete front-end for MPlayer - icon themes
                Qt Mplayer front-end, with basic features like playing videos, DVDs, and
                VCDs to more advanced features like support for MPlayer filters and more.
                One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings
                of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to
                leave... don't worry, when you open that movie again it will resume at the
                same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles,
                volume...
                This package contains additional icon themes.
                Last edited by Rog132; Dec 31, 2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                  - making a small empty panel to the left side.- adding there a task manger widget.- launching the applications - right clicking the task manager icon and picking the "Show Launcher When not Running" option "
                  Yes, that's exactly the way I'm doing it.I copied the smplayer icon from Dalisha icon theme, renamed it to logo.png and placed in the destination folder: I changed the icon-theme in smplayer to Oxygen-Air. Closed\opened the program and ... nothing, unfortunately.By the way, the same problem with applying icon theme I have with a few other programs, e.g. Sublime Text, Chromium.Thanks, though, for really trying to help me. )))
                  Attached Files

Comment

About

I should have started with this

Tell a bit more - that is:

Your Kubuntu version ?
                    Your KDE version ?
                    Your plasma theme name ?
                    Your SMPlayer version ?
                    Your etc... ?

Why I'm asking these ?

Because there are many, many versions available and the different versions could have different settings etc...

SMPlayer

The SMPlayer icon theming has changed:

By the smplayer-themes-14.9.0 Changelog:
                    Version 14.9.0
                    * Now all the icons are packaged in resource files (*.rcc).
                    In my earlier post I was using older SMPlayer - Ubuntu repositories: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=smplayer&searchon=names&suite=all& section=all

With those you could simply drag&drop the icon to the theme folder.

With the version 14.9.0 and later the theme need to be in the Qt resource file format.

An example

This is with the Kubuntu 15.04 alpha1 - SMPlayer 14.9.0

Making a folder: smtheme

The smtheme has:
                    Files: MyTheme.qrc
                    Subfolder: MyTheme, with the logo.png file

The MyTheme.qrc:
                    Code:
                    <RCC>
                    	<qresource prefix="/">
                    		<file>MyTheme/logo.png</file>
                    	</qresource>
                    </RCC>

Opening a konsole to the smtheme folder and running command:

Code:
                    rcc --binary -o  MyTheme.rcc MyTheme.qrc
                    the rcc command is:
                    :~$ rcc -help
                    Usage: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/rcc [options] inputs
                    Qt Resource Compiler version 5.3.2

Options:
                    -h, --help Displays this help.
                    -v, --version Displays version information.
                    -o, --output <file> Write output to <file> rather than stdout.
                    --name <name> Create an external initialization function with <name>.
                    --root <path> Prefix resource access path with root path.
                    --compress <level> Compress input files by <level>.
                    --no-compress Disable all compression.
                    --threshold <level> Threshold to consider compressing files.
                    --binary Output a binary file for use as a dynamic resource.
                    --namespace Turn off namespace macros.
                    --verbose Enable verbose mode.
                    --list Only list .qrc file entries, do not generate code.
                    --project Output a resource file containing all files from the
                    current directory.

Arguments:
                    inputs Input files (*.qrc).
                    After this there is the MyTheme.rcc file.

Making the /usr/share/smplayer/themes/MyTheme folder and copying the MyTheme.rcc to there.

In the SMPlayer using the MyTheme Icon set - as the MyTheme only has the logo icon the other icons will be from the default set.

Other problems

...other programs, e.g. Sublime Text, Chromium...
                    I don't have those installed so I can say nothing of the workarounds with those.

The Sublime Text (Is it this? http://www.sublimetext.com ) seems to have own forum. Maybe the developers/other users can give some feedback of the icon issue.

Note

As SteveRiley ( https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?67145-Temporary-issues-with-post-contents&p=364593#post364593 ) points the tags are not working...
                    Last edited by Rog132; Jan 01, 2015, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Wow!!! Thank you so much! It worked!

Comment

Working...
                      X