Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not want to get into a discussion of MX-14. But to correct a statement made, the panel can be moved anywhere. Also, I do not expect many KDE4 users to warm up to XFCE. I am ambiDExtrous, and can use both XFCE and KDE happily.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Okay, claydoh, as for what I call Flakey with Lubuntu. The first time I installed it I pulled all of my pics out of my win7u HDD (over 5000, dups and trips on some) and used 3 for my desktops ( always have preferred to have 4 desktops) and my desktops went screwy as in the pictures compressed; lost about 2 inches on the left and right side of screen including the taskbar. I could get the taskbar back by clicking the mouse in the area of the taskbar, and it was fine until the next time I turned the computer on. Also, it messed up my "Desktop Preferences" to the point that I could not return to the standard Lubuntu wallpapers because it removed some icons. I posted the problem on Ubuntu and JustLinux and got very little response so I got a different HDD and put Lubuntu 13.10 on it. Which is what I am runnung as we speak. And as for the drive with the flakey Lubuntu I can't really explain it but there were other issues that I know were caused by the problem with the wallpaper snafu. It just didn't run right anymore. Now mind you I have all my pics on this HDD and I mainly run Shotwell but I am kinda careful what I do. I do very little with the pics for fear of crashing or who knows. Now we don't need to dwell on this version because I need to get a newer version of something, Lub or Kub with a LTS so I can get updates for awhile.

NickStone, thanx for the High5 on Gnome :-D. As for XFCE? Guess I didn't try hard enough. But, that's okay. Like I said I don't care for Gnome-like environments.

richb, the one thing I see here is that Mepis/MX-14 is a questionable OS. Well it was good enough for me at the time. But I seemed to have hit a wall with Mepis 11 and being that Mepis appears dead so be it. To me it is another Linux OS I tried for awhile. Heck I tried a lot of Linux OS's over the years and if anything it is fun trying different ones. One of many enjoyable things about Linux.

So, I downloaded Kubuntu 14.04 and will load it probably Sunday. By the way, if I like it again is there a way to have more than 1 or 2 desktops? That was what annoyed my about KDE 4.x. Like I said, I love multiple desktops.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepse View Post
        By the way, if I like it again is there a way to have more than 1 or 2 desktops? That was what annoyed my about KDE 4.x. Like I said, I love multiple desktops.
        You can have as many as your memory will support.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Pepse

I am not here to promote Mepis or MX. I just want to correct any inaccuracies.

Yes Mepis is pretty much dead, with the sole developer incognito, and no development proceeding. MX however is being developed by a group of community users and is very active. It is not Mepis.
          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
          Always consider Occam's Razor
          Rich

Comment

So, I downloaded Kubuntu 14.04 and will load it probably Sunday. By the way, if I like it again is there a way to have more than 1 or 2 desktops? That was what annoyed my about KDE 4.x. Like I said, I love multiple desktops.

Later. Pepse.
            but of course .................................................. .................

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

richb, okay. But since MX-14 is Gnome-like I will skip it.

Vinnywright, that is the fluff I don't have the time or care for. Yes it is great for the potential windows users, impressive, don't get me wrong, but I have better things to use my computer for. I just want the multiple boxes in my taskbar.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

richb, okay. But since MX-14 is Gnome-like I will skip it.

Vinnywright, that is the fluff I don't have the time or care for. Yes it is great for the potential windows users, impressive, don't get me wrong, but I have better things to use my computer for. I just want the multiple boxes in my taskbar.

Later. Pepse.
                I would (if I didn't want any fluff) and was going to run on older hardware or just want to lean things down a bit ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as soon as I got loged in after install go to Kickoff>system settings>Desktop effects and turn them off ,,,,,then in system settings>workspace behavior>virtual desktops ,,,,set as meney as you wish ,,,,,,,,then in system settings>startup and shutdown>service manager ,,,,disable all services you do not need.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I just want the multiple boxes in my taskbar.
                  After initial installation, you have two virtual desktops in the Panel. You can increase that number easily. Right-click on them and click Pager settings. Click on Virtual Desktops and set the number you want under Layout.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Strange that I don't remember that stuff in 9.x or 10.x. That's fine. Thank you.

Heck I have had better reults in Kubuntu Forums than Ubuntu Forums. Thanx everbody.

Later. pepse.

Comment

Working...
                    X