This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible Unusable Incredibly Infuriating Keyboard Lag

/rant Ok so I have intermittent keyboard lag since the last update. Sometimes (like coming here, trying to type kubuntu into firefox) it will lag for seconds, repeat keys, and generally make computering a living nightmare, whereas right now it seems to be mostly behaving. Sticky and slow keys are off. Please GOD help. It's skipping keys even now. This is crazy. --- PS: I also have this crazy huge cursor. Do people even test their code? I'm never installing updates again except security updates...
    Last edited by Silence; Dec 14, 2014, 11:06 PM.

1. Log out of KDE.
    2. At the login screen, Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a virtual terminal.
    3. Log in with your normal credentials.
    4 Delete the file ~/.kde/share/config/kcminputrc.
    5. Type exit to log out.
    6. Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to the graphical login screen.
    7. Log in.

How is it now?

Comment

Originally posted by Silence View Post
      trying to type kubuntu into firefox) it will lag for seconds, repeat keys, and generally make computering a living nightmare, whereas right now it seems to be mostly behaving
      Firefox is the only app that I have had this trouble with, It is so infrequent that I never bothered to look into it. I was thinking it was a firefox problem but not sure

I am wondering if wiping out kcminputrc will remove all the custom keyboard shortcuts?

Comment

Thanks for the help, sorry for the rage. Alright: For the first answer, the only directives in ~/.kde/share/config/kcminputrc for my main user account are the cursor size and theme. Are you sure that is related to keyboard lag and I should delete it? Second I'm afraid the problem isn't limited to Firefox. After closing it yesterday I was trying to type and even in unlocking the screen saver my password field will sometimes repeat making me unable to unlock the screen. Bonus question: Why is my cursor huge and why did my monitor mode switch to mirrored (instead of extended) when I logged back in? PPS: You'd have to see if that includes all your custom shortcuts, for me it wouldn't.

Comment

Thanks for the help, sorry for the rage. Alright: For the first answer, the only directives in ~/.kde/share/config/kcminputrc for my main user account are the cursor size and theme. Are you sure that is related to keyboard lag and I should delete it? Second I'm afraid the problem isn't limited to Firefox. After closing it yesterday I was trying to type and even in unlocking the screen saver my password field will sometimes repeat making me unable to unlock the screen. Bonus question: Why is my cursor huge and why did my monitor mode switch to mirrored (instead of extended) when I logged back in? PPS: You'd have to see if that includes all your custom shortcuts, for me it wouldn't.
          If your unsure about deleting any files simply rename it instead that way you can rename it back to it's original name if it doesn't work out.
          As for the keyboard, is it wireless?

Comment

The file contains information related to keyboard repeat rates (System Settings | Input Devices | Keyboard | Hardware) and to cursor sizes and types (System Settings | Workspace Appearance | Cursor Theme). Here's mine:
            Code:
            steve@t520:~$ [B]cat ~/.kde/share/config/kcminputrc[/B]
            [Keyboard]
            ClickVolume=0
            KeyboardRepeating=0
            NumLock=2
            RepeatDelay=200
            RepeatRate=30

[Mouse]
            cursorSize=24
            cursorTheme=oxy-viorange
            From your original post, it wasn't clear whether your problem is only in Firefox. What about the mouse cursor -- it is huge only in Firefox, too?

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
              As for the keyboard, is it wireless?
              I too would like to know what kind of keyboard, brand and model would be good.

Comment

The keybboooard is wireless. Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000. The problem persists everywhere, including in screen saver unlock, IDE's, text editors, the works. The mouse cursor does lag sometimes, and sometimes not. The readout widgets all show a perfectly fast machine with no issues (CPU, Ram, Network, Temps). The file you suggested contained nothing relevant to the problem. One line set the mouse cursor, the other the cursor theme, it was otherwise blank. The problem persists and I'm honestly very angry at the Kubuntu team for removing the traditional software center so I can't even rollback the broken code that was pushed to my machine (Muon appears not to have an option to do this). But that's an argument for a different thread. This keyboard has been used on two other machines flawlessly.

Comment

The problem persists and I'm honestly very angry at the Kubuntu team for removing the traditional software center so I can't even rollback the broken code that was pushed to my machine (Muon appears not to have an option to do this). But that's an argument for a different thread. This keyboard has been used on two other machines flawlessly.
                  What do you mean by "traditional software center"? Sure, we recently switched from having 2 variants installed at the same time (Muon Package Manager and the Muon Software Center), to using Muon Discover as the default; either the old Muon Software Center or Muon Package Manager is readily available, as is Synaptic. I do not believe any of the available package management tools available in Debian based distros have any method of rolling things back, per se

I have to ask it, and it may seem obvious, but.........batteries? Different usb port? Eliminating the basics can help, especially with the overall lack of other people reporting similar issues. Heck, we don't even know what KDE/Kubuntu version you have, or which video drivers you use (yes, this has an effect on kb and mouse)

Comment

The keybboooard is wireless. Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000. The problem persists everywhere, including in screen saver unlock, IDE's, text editors, the works. The mouse cursor does lag sometimes, and sometimes not. The readout widgets all show a perfectly fast machine with no issues (CPU, Ram, Network, Temps). The file you suggested contained nothing relevant to the problem. One line set the mouse cursor, the other the cursor theme, it was otherwise blank. The problem persists and I'm honestly very angry at the Kubuntu team for removing the traditional software center so I can't even rollback the broken code that was pushed to my machine (Muon appears not to have an option to do this). But that's an argument for a different thread. This keyboard has been used on two other machines flawlessly.
                    My guess is that it is a bluetooth issue on your machine as I believe all wireless keyboards / mice use bluetooth to comunicate with the computer. But then again as I have never had a wireless keyboard or mice I am not 100% certain it is bluetooth. I would have a go at re-installing the bluetooth drivers to see if that resolves the issue or use a wired keyboard in the meantime until the issue has been solved.

Comment

I don't want to argue about choices already made, but suffice to say it's very frustrating when the old synaptic approach at least allowed undo and now I can't undo bulk package upgrades. I just won't try new updates is all, which is fine, but the keyboard lag issue comes and goes especially after coming back from a long period locked. Right now I have no problems. I am very, very confuse. Maybe it's a widget? I've disabled my widgets to test... Any ideas?

Comment

To revert back to previous version you can always try instructions found here http://dimitar.me/ubuntu-revert-to-a...-of-a-package/
                        The info is from 2008 but it should still apply today, unless Ubuntu have completely changed their package management system.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                          My guess is that it is a bluetooth issue on your machine as I believe all wireless keyboards / mice use bluetooth to comunicate with the computer.
                          No, the majority of wireless keyboards and mice use a 2.4 GHz radio frequency signal between the device and the tiny dongle you plug into a USB port. The Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 falls into this category. The protocol is usually manufacturer-specific. An interesting comparison of this technology vs. Bluetooth: http://www.cypress.com/?docID=26882

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            No, the majority of wireless keyboards and mice use a 2.4 GHz radio frequency signal between the device and the tiny dongle you plug into a USB port. The Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 falls into this category. The protocol is usually manufacturer-specific. An interesting comparison of this technology vs. Bluetooth: http://www.cypress.com/?docID=26882
                            Thanks for pointing that out, After posting my comment I searched for that OP's particular wireless keyboard and found out that it does use the 2.4 Ghz radio frequency that you mentioned. I also discovered that it requires a single AA battery to power it, so maybe the problem will be reslved by replacing the battery.

Comment

But have you tried a wired keyboard?

Comment

Working...
                              X