This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Muon updater issue..

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04LTS, with KDE installed via Synaptic and the "Kubuntu-full" metapackage. My issue is this: When I am in KDE, the Muon update alerter comes up every couple of hours pestering me about updates.. I know where to set the update frequency in Ubuntu/Unity and have it set for "notify weekly" "apply security fixes automatically", but it *appears* Muon does not honor these settings, and I can't seem to find where to make these same adjustments in Muon. A bit more poking around and I seem to have found the KDE/Muon equivalent of the Ubuntu/Unity update config, and its set also to "Automatically check for updates: Weekly", "When there are security updates: Download and install", "When there are other updates: Display weekly". These endless update notifications are extremely annoying... I came over to KDE because I detest Unity, but all of these incessant update notifications are driving me back to Unity...

Dave

I am guessing that these notifications are trying to tell you that a new version of (K)Ubuntu is available meaning version 14.10. Just like within Unity you can instruct the updater to only notify when a new LTS is available but as I no longer use Muon I cannot tell you where to look. If you search in preferences you should find the option to check for only LTS updates.

Comment

Open Muon Package Manager. Click on Settings > Configure Software Sources. Click on the Updates tab. Change Release upgrade to Never.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reply...
        No, its not notifying me of a release upgrade.. its ones-twos of either app updates or security updates.. As far as I can tell, I've told both the KDE updater and the Unity updater I only want to be notified once a week on updates and for security fixes to be applied silently.. Never had this trouble with earlier versions of KDE on 10.04 or 12.04.. I have both a desktop and a laptop configured the same way (original install of Ubuntu 14.04/64bit, and KDE-full installed via metapackage), and both systems constantly pop up dialogs telling me of updates, at least 2-3 times/day.. I do not get this when I switch to Unity on the same system.. Could something have gotten bent since I did a metapackage for KDE vs actually installing from a KUbuntu install disk??

Comment

Originally posted by lvdave View Post
          Could something have gotten bent since I did a metapackage for KDE vs actually installing from a KUbuntu install disk??
          yes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I used to do multiple DE installs ,,, but now if you have both of the heavy ones (KDE & unity) all sorts of quirks will occur ,,,,, to many conflicting configs .

I do however still add Fluxbox as an alternate DE in case something happens to KDE and I cant get the GUI up .......(has not happend in a LOOoooooong time)

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Soo.. I gather then, its not considered a good idea to do multiple (KDE/Unity) DE installs... Actually I think I've found a "sledge-hammer" to fix this annoyance.. In system settings/system notification configuration, I've turned off in the "system notification helper" the "upgrade hook", and "update notification daemon" turned off both "update notifer" and "available updates"... With that, once a week, I'll run "sudo apt-get update&&sudo apt-get upgrade"... So far, endless annoyance is gone....

Comment

Working...
            X