This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Kubuntu 14.10 unable to change wallpaper

This is a fresh install of kubuntu 14.10. The first thing I have to do is get rid of the awful desktop background.

I right click on the desktop and choose "Desktop settings" the dialog closes and nothing else happens.

Next I go to System Settings, nothing turns up for Wallpaper. "Background" only finds "Background Services"

Finally I find Themes but nothing that lets me change the wallpaper (and there's also no way to get more themes as previous versions allowed).

I see no way to get rid of the absoutely hidious default wallpaper. Please please help.

You say it was a fresh install of Kubuntu, but did you upgrade from a previous version or overwrite the previous version when installing from a disk or USB stick?
    Also do you know if the widgets is locked on your system? If it is that may prevent you from changing the wallpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
      You say it was a fresh install of Kubuntu, but did you upgrade from a previous version or overwrite the previous version when installing from a disk or USB stick?
      Also do you know if the widgets is locked on your system? If it is that may prevent you from changing the wallpaper.
      Thanks for reply.

It is a brand new computer. I had Kubuntu use the entire disk and blow away Windoze and whatever else might have been there.

When I right click on the panel under "Panel Options" one of the options is to "Lock Widgets" Clicked that and again tried the three things I did before to change the wallpaper. Seemed to have no effect on this problem.
      Right clicking again on the panel and it now has an "Unlock Widgets" instead of Panel Options. Clicked that and again tried to change the wallpaper. No effect.

I repeated everything just in case. Still no effect.

Also just in case, I tried rebooting and repeating everything above, sill no effect.

I assume there's a file somewhere deep in .kde or something I can just copy a new image there. I'm going to look for that, but I'd love to get the GUI to work if anyone can help.

Comment

KDE Wallpapers

The KDE wallpapers are part of the plasma desktop. The wallpaper settings are saved to the ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc.

The default wallpaper is set by the plasma theme. The Lock Screen is using this information /2/.

How things are working at here - KDE SC 4

Traditional way - right click the desktop - Default Desktop Settings - View.

or
        Left click the 'Tool Box' icon - Default Desktop Settings - View.

or
        Type 'Alt+D', 'Alt+S' - View

Drag&Drop

Drag&drop an image to the desktop /1/.
        (widgets need to be unlocked)

DBus

If the KSetWallpaper plasma widget / plasmoid is installed there is an option to use the dbus command /1/.

Links

1. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...lpaper-changer
        2. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Kubuntu-14-04
        3. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ors-is-no-more

Q&A

This is a fresh install of kubuntu 14.10. The first thing I have to do is get rid of the awful desktop background.

I right click on the desktop and choose "Desktop settings" the dialog closes and nothing else happens.
        This sounds to me that there is something wrong with the plasma desktop or with the installation. Have you looked the logs ?

I think that the KDE errors should be found from the ~/.cache/upstart/startkde.log /3/ with the Kubuntu 14.10.
        Last edited by Rog132; Dec 05, 2014, 02:31 PM.
        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

There is no ~/.cache/upstart/startkde.log

Since I've been having other troubles I agree something is wrong with the plasma desktop. I wiped everything out and installed the plain vanilla Ubuntu. I'm surprised how it has caught up with KDE since the last time I tried it. I'm going to stick with that for a while. Thanks again.

Comment

Plasma 5

With the Vivid pre-alpha the plasma wallpapers seem to work...

Traditional way - right click the desktop - Desktop Settings - Wallpaper.

or
            Left click the 'Tool Box' icon - Desktop Settings - Wallpaper.

or
            Type 'Alt+D', 'Alt+S' - Wallpaper.

Drag&Drop

The KDE errors seem to go to the .xsession-errors - but this is pre-alpha version.
            Last edited by Rog132; Dec 06, 2014, 04:23 AM.
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Same problem here with HD4000 but occasionally when I login the desktop settings menu does fire up the desktop wallpaper dialog allowing me to change the wallpaper. But sadly most times when I login I can see my new wallpaper sliding to the left like a virtual desktop leaving the default wallpaper in view. So I have to login/logout about 10 times every morning to get my wallpaper. When my wallpaper works the wallpaper dialog is also functions from the desktop settings menu, when I login and the default wallpaper returns the wallpaper dialog is not functional.

Comment

Working...
              X