This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] snow effect

In preparation for the upcoming Winter activities I thought I see if there are any "Christmas" screensaver/effects etc. that would run on my lashup.

I installed xsnow, but discovered that it runs in the "xwindow" and so can't be seen because of the KDE GUI and so it is eating up cycles but not viewable.

I then tried the "snow" effect in menu/system settings/dekstop effects/all effects.

One has probably "at least" toggle the "last state" to "enable" and "at startup, but to get it to run I had to change in advanced the compositing type to OpenGL 3.1, mine was at 2.0.

One immediatly gets some very nicely rendered snowflakes falling on the desktop, the default option is for them to run "under a window".

Unfortunately..........now.........those three......... "bare nekkid" girls on the beach (KDE look download) are now going to get kinda.........cold! lol

So I downloaded the "Ferry on the Bosphorous" and the effect looks very nice on the image.

One can disable the effect by going back through the menu to the effect and merely uncheck it and apply and the snowflakes are gone. Repeat as needed to enable or diable and thus save on CPU cycles.

if anyone wants to throw in some tips, expecially about the xsnow which has a cartoon santa, please feel free to so do.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 24, 2014, 12:17 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I don't use screensaves myself but around Christmas time I do have some Christmas themed wallpapers that I have displayed on the desktop to make me feel "Chirstmassy" a sample of them you'll find below.
    Attached Files

Comment

KDE lap dance & seasonal (animated/video) wallpapers

Video wallpaper

The KDE can use the video as the wallpaper - https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=119463

Installing the plugin: plasma-wallpaper-dreamdesktop-0.3.0~trusty~ppa1.

Downloading a free Christmas Tree clip: http://givemefreeart.com/Downloads/f...stmas-Tree.php

Default Desktop Settings...

Animated wallpaper

Downloading a QML wallpaper: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...84&forumpage=0

Downloading a snow/winter/christmas gif animation: http://giphy.com/gifs/winter-lH99Q3q4sTHIA

Editing the 'matrix' wallpaper and saving it as the 'snow' wallpaper...

Default Desktop Settings...

An older thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-desktop-candy

Last edited by Rog132; Nov 24, 2014, 09:52 AM.
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Good tips!

Comment

Rog132

JUST STUNNING................that is just...........mind blowing..........Now yes, I kind of got beyond "desktop tweakage" except for haveing a nice wallpaper and it being the most efficient setup that it can be for me getting work done.

i did the whole compiz cube at another forum and even produced a video cube back in the primitive days......

And I've done the whole #! thing and the different dockers and liked the animations......but

I DID NOT KNOW WHAT YOU JUST POSTED!!!

THAT IN AN OF ITSELF IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE TRUMPETED TO THE WORLD............

I mean.........there is a whole SLEW of people who like to do neat things with their desktops.........

That PRECISELY is why there are so many thousands of people who download the "animated free wallpapers" and also get the malware in Windblow world...

This should REALLY be "talked up" in fora which have any kind of crossover with Windblows users........or it should be ADVERTISED about the KDE desktop.

I'm in the middle of grading exams and Thanksgiving but I WILL do this shortly!

Maybe a whole, dedicated, prominent, stickied, thread should be devoted to this just to attract/catch the interest of new people........and normal users which don't know about it.

woodjustthinkingsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Wellll............DUUUUHHHH...........as is often my wont......or wonk............. lol

I was asking the WRONG QUESTION!!

The distro already does "animated walpaprs", there are three in "animations".

the situation then is to get the christmas tree from below into the appropriate folder and then just use the wallpaper handler to choose the wallpaper.

Welll, thanks to the great hints below, I did that, the only situation is that even my new machine does not do well with some of the backgrounds and make it crash or the desktop locks up or the animation does not play.

But........it CAN be done!

THANKS for the hints!

but, I think I'll probably default to snowflakes in compiz and letting them fall on an appropriate wallpaper.

thanks again!

woodgratefulsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 26, 2014, 01:39 AM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I modified the below post.
              woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
              X