X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Kubuntu Locking up

Hi,
    I just did a fresh install of Kubuntu 14.10 beta 2, KDE 5 plasma (my boot drive is a samsung 840 solid

state drive - not sure if that will matter)
    I will be working in Dolphin file explorer browsing a directory when out of the blue, the machine locks
    up, the mouse will move but nothing on the mouse or keyboard will work. I have to hit the power button
    and reboot. This also happens when in systems settings, there, and Dolphin is where this has happened,
    may occur elsewhere - don't know.
    When it boots up, the blue "Kubuntu" will come up center screen then one of the issues below will
    occur:
    1) starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    2) starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    restoring resolver state ...
    3) starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    starting uuid generator uuidd
    4) starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    starting uuid generator uuidd
    :tc/rc2.d/S0Z sddm: 4: .: can't open /lib/init/init-d-script
    saned disabled edit /etc/defualt/saned
    when 1,2 or 3 happen, I have to hit the power button or unplug the PC
    when 4 happens, it does boot up. Number 4 may be due to my newly created sddm.conf file containing:
    [Autologin]
    User=ajub2
    Session=plasma.desktop
    Please advise, thanks James.

you do realize that Kubuntu 14.10 beta 2, KDE 5 plasma is a development release for testing ............and things will brake and be fixed and brake again as it comes together.

that sead if you can get loged in do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    to get all the updates that have been released sense the .iso was uploaded .

happy testing

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes I realize its beta, but its at Release candidate stage...it should be "ready" I'd think? and the final release is out in a few days.
      I regularly (3-4 times day) do:

sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I order

Won't that achieve the same as "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" ?? (is this a one line command that does It all?)

--AJ

Comment

if you use "dist-upgrade" you can forgo the "upgrade" one ,,,,,and so yes the one I posted would be a "one liner" for it in that case

the difference between the 2 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,from "man apt-get"

Code:
         upgrade
                   upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system
                   from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
                   versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed
                   packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
                   currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another
                   package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get
                   knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
                   dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing
                   dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
                   it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if
                   necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list
                   file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also
                   apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Good to know thanks. So? for my locking issue, the verdict is keep doing update / dist-upgrade...and next week this will put me up to the final release version....which hopefully will have the fix to my issue?

Comment

Technical preview

I just did a fresh install of Kubuntu 14.10 beta 2, KDE 5 plasma...

...So? for my locking issue, the verdict is keep doing update / dist-upgrade...and next week this will put me up to the final release version....which hopefully will have the fix to my issue?
            The Plasma 5 is a technical preview /1/ (of the Kubuntu 15.04)

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/1410-beta-2
            Kubuntu Plasma 5 Tech Preview. Try Kubuntu Plasma 5 to see the future of desktop software but expect some more bugs as we iron out the integration...

Plasma 5 on Kubuntu 14.10

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ne/008527.html
            ...Once the software matures upstream, we plan to push the packages into
            Ubuntu 15.04 once the archive opens, and then eventually switch to
            Plasma 5
            as the default desktop environment at some point in the future.

Until such a change happens, we would still like users to try out
            Plasma 5 and provide feedback...

Links

1. Software release life cycle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ase_life_cycle
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Working...
            X