This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Widget dashboard - is it in current development

Now that I have a laptop I have found using activities + selected programs to be a great way of working.

However there are times when it's useful to jump out of an activity to check on a specific widget rather than have to add it to every activity - and the perfect place for this is the dashboard. The dashboard is marked to use it's own set of widgets in System settings.

However it appears it is still not possible to put widgets on the dashboard. I found a blog by Aaron Siego which explained how to do this by linking the dashboard to an activity of it's own. The article is some years old so I followed as best I could but without success.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious or is this option still not available.

Thanks
    Worzel

Hi Worzel

I can't help with the request but I, and I think others, would be interested in a small post about how you use the activities etc. for people who "don't understand the plasma desktop".

I'm sure that help will be along soon.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

With pleasure - though my use is fairly basic. I have two desktops available for 3 activities, Desktop, Finance and Mail/RSS.

Desktop has no specific progs active, Finance has Kmymoney (desktop 1) + Okular (desktop 2) "always loaded" as does Mail/RSS with Kmail (desktop 1) + Akregator (desktop 2). By "always loaded" I mean that I never close the progs when finished, I just stop the activity when I am done.

So on Desktop I use Konq and do any updates etc. (I also download latest transactions from my bank as a pdf file).

Then I start Mail/RSS and while Kmail/Akregator download new stuff I stop Desktop activity. Once all is read, start Finance activity, stop Kmail/RSS.

Use Kmymoney, getting the new data from the new downloaded file that Okular has loaded, shed a tear over my penniless state, then start Desktop again and close Finance.

NOTE - starting / stopping an activity loads / unloads associated programs but AFAIK only KDE ones - ie Firefox stays loaded.

So - why the widget dashboard? Using a laptop sometimes things, for example, get hot!! Temperature widget is set up on Desktop activity but not the others. If the Dashboard worked I could Ctrl+F12 anytime anywhere to check temps, then C+F12 back to the activity.

Not an great example of Activity usage but that's my 1p/2 cents worth.

Worzel

Comment

Apologies for answering my own thread but it looks unlike the Dashboard will be going anywhere.

This link - https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...hboard#p255857 - appears well-informed.

Worzel

Comment

Working...
        X