This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE has major problems after recent round of updates

After running a round of updates yesterday, I rebooted and now have a number of issues. Keyboard stops working after login (I did have one instance where I used an "Alt-F2" and got a run command dialog which accepted text, but after I closed that window and tried again, it no longer worked.) I can't enter text in any fields such as the start menu, password prompts, or a blank text document. I'm using this same keyboard, mouse and monitor on a different machine with a KVM, and all works fine on this second machine which is running Win7. My taskbar has lost its translucency and when I open programs, they don't show up on the taskbar. The start menu pops up behind any running program window, and, if I try to close the program, the buttons in the upper right corner to close or maximize or minimize the window aren't displayed. There's more, but, does anyone have an idea of how I might troubleshoot this?

you may have broken packages. please see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...roken+packages

you may need to log in with a tty .. Use Alt+Crtl+F1 to select tty1 (the desktop is usually on tty7 so use Alt+Ctrl+F7 to get back to your de). if that does not work boot to recovery to do this from a root terminal.
    Last edited by sithlord48; Jul 04, 2014, 07:18 AM.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

KDE desktop still crippled

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      you may have broken packages. please see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...roken+packages

you may need to log in with a tty .. Use Alt+Crtl+F1 to select tty1 (the desktop is usually on tty7 so use Alt+Ctrl+F7 to get back to your de). if that does not work boot to recovery to do this from a root terminal.
      Thank you for the reply. I went to the page you suggested and followed all the steps, but my KDE desktop is still pretty useless. Mouse functionality works sometimes, and in some apps, and then stops working. KDE windows around programs don't show the close or minimize buttons, and there's no way to grab the sides or bottom of windows to expand or reduce them. Nor can open windows be moved. If I click on the KDE program menu, it pops up behind any open program windows so it's nearly useless. I installed the xubuntu-desktop and if I log in to that, everything works normally.

Comment

reinstall the kubuntu-desktop package try again.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
          reinstall the kubuntu-desktop package try again.
          OK - will do - it will be several hours till I can but I will report back results

Comment

Originally posted by claudejones View Post
            OK - will do - it will be several hours till I can but I will report back results
            I've found many conflicting posts in searching for how to reinstall kubuntu-desktop - can you give me an idea of how this is done, or point me at some authoritative instructions?

Comment

Solved

I've found many conflicting posts in searching for how to reinstall kubuntu-desktop - can you give me an idea of how this is done, or point me at some authoritative instructions?
              Sithlord48:

I tried a search on this forum, which I should tried first instead of google, and found the command I needed.
              Running "sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop" listed some no-longer needed packages and found a KDE window manager package that needed installing - I let it run the install and then ran "apt-get autoremove" - that latter was a little scary because it removed a lot of packages, but, everything is back to normal and all my windows are working properly again, the KDE menu comes up properly and a number of other problems are resolved. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Another one has been helped!

Sithlord48:

Running "sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop" [...] everything is back to normal and all my windows are working properly again, the KDE menu comes up properly and a number of other problems are resolved. Thanks for the help.
                Thanks, solved my almost identical problem after yesterday's upgrade. I did file a bug report (1337960), because this is not supposed to happen, and I guess OP and me did nothing wrong; no warning, no request to remove anything; just the request to reboot - and poom, KDE gone.

Comment

Working...
                X