This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A v is emitted before each character

When I type I get a v in front of each character, unless I type really fast then only the first v is emited. I am running Kubuntu 14.04. I had been experimenting with Onboard--an on screen keyboard and Florence--another on screen keyboard.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I am typing this with Florence and it is tedious. Some time after this problem was first observed Onboard quit working. Complete removal and then an install did not fix.

Thanks.

No idea on either of these projects. You likely would need to contact whoever develops each program for help.

As a time-saving FYI: removing and reinstalling programs in Linux is not going to fix any problems or bugs.

Comment

Just a question, is the computer, a laptop I assume, a Sony Vaio?

If so, then it may be a fritz with the oddball remaping of some keys, I have observed oddball stuff on my Vaio when I had various dual boots with it.

Yes what I observed was the hardware keys, but it is possible that there is a hardware association with the onscreen keys.

or not, just a thought about the oddball key arrangement on the Vaio.

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 02, 2014, 10:44 PM.
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        Just a question, is the computer, a laptop I assume, a Sony Vaio?

If so, then it may be a fritz with the oddball remaping of some keys, I have observed oddball stuff on my Vaio when I had various dual boots with it.

Yes what I observed was the hardware keys, but it is possible that there is a hardware association with the onscreen keys.

or not, just a thought about the oddball key arrangement on the Vaio.

woodsmoke
        I agree, woodsmoke. A keyboard (language?) setting may have changed the character assignments and the first byte of the two byte character set may is being interpreted by a "v". In System Settings --> Input Devices --> Keyboard is a setting. Since you live in Souther California I'm assuming you are using the "Generic 101 key PC" setting. Is it still that?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I have fixed the keyboard problem and I am embarrassed. The fix involved removing the batteries from the cordless keyboard and then putting them back in. A long time ago I was having keyboard problems that I fixed by removing the batteries. I have forgotten what that problem was. So the first part of this mystery is solved.

Version: onboard 1.0.0-0ubuntu4

I did: sudo apt-get remove onboard
          Then I searched my entire drive for onBoard* and deleted every folder and file with the exception of *.mo, *.png and *.svg files.
          Then I reinstalled onboard and it still comes up dead!
          In fact I did this twice, once installing with muon and again with synaptic.
          What else can I try? This part of the mystery persists!

Comment

ummm sometimes stuff happens....not that I am in any way to help....I am not the sharpest nail here....

others walk well past me.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              ummm sometimes stuff happens....not that I am in any way to help....I am not the sharpest nail here....

others walk well past me.

woodsmoke
              Time, and an increasingly forgetful memory, have blunted my nail as well, woodsmoke!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X