Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I add a program launcher icon to the desktop for a java app?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How can I add a program launcher icon to the desktop for a java app?

I have done this in earlier version of KDE but it the latest Kubuntu 14.04 I can't seem to find a way to create a desktop icon to launch a java app.
    Specifically I can use "java -jar /home/steve/Arachnophilia.jar" to launch the program from the command line.

I created a file Arachnophilia.desktop with the following contents:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Comment[en_US]=Website Editor
    Comment=Website Editor
    Exec=java -jar /home/steve/Arachnophilia.jar
    GenericName[en_US]=
    GenericName=
    Icon=/home/steve/Arachnophilia.png
    MimeType=
    Name[en_US]=Arachnophilia
    Name=Arachnophilia
    Path=/home/steve/Web Pages/
    StartupNotify=false
    Terminal=false
    TerminalOptions=
    Type=Application
    Version=1.0
    X-DBUS-ServiceName=
    X-DBUS-StartupType=
    X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
    X-KDE-Username=
    I placed the file in ~/Desktop/ and set it executable, but it is not showing up on my desktop.
    What do I need to do?

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu:Trusty

Add Menu items to Desktop or Panel

To copy a program icon to the desktop or panel bar, you must first unlock widgets:

Widget icon (upper right corner of desktop) -> Unlock Widgets (or right mouse anywhere on desktop and select "unlock widgets")
    then right-click on any menu item in the K menu and select "Add to Desktop" or "Add to Panel". You can move the icon anywhere you desire and then re-lock the widgets.
    For example, I like to have the icon for Konsole (the command-line interface terminal) in my Panel bar (since I like to work in the command-line interface frequently). I therefore right-click on K menu -> System -> Konsole then choose "Add to Panel".

Rather than adding a app shortcut to the desktop (which is often covered by apps) or to the panel (which has space restrictions), I add the plasma widget "QuickLauncher" to the panel and then right mouse in it and choose "Add Application" (or remove, etc..) I keep about 12 of my most commonly used apps in the quicklauncher, but I have room for three times that many, if not more.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

With the KDE Menu Editor - 1 2 3

From the KDE Menu editor Hadbook:

KMenuEdit allows editing the menu of KDE application launchers: Kickoff, classic K menu or Lancelot Launcher.
      KMenuEdit can be started either by right mouse button clicking the application launcher button on the panel and choosing Edit Applications..., or by typing kmenuedit in the KRunner line.

1) Making a menu entry:

2) Right clicking the desktop and unlocking the widgets:

3) Drag&Drop the menu item from the K-Menu to the Desktop

The Weather java is from : http://java-apps.org/content/show.ph...content=164166
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Yes, thank you, that did the trick. I see now that I was going about it from the wrong end. You create a menu item first, then it is just a matter of adding it to the desktop just like any other program launcher.

Comment

Cool weather program, Rog!
          I just downloaded it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pavi...4.jar/download
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X