Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] why is HDD install 7.2GB when installed from 1.5GB Live image

everything I need (and more) is on the live image which was circa 1.5GB. Why then is my HDD install now 7.2GB and I haven't installed anything extra ? How can I get to an absolute minimal install with KDE/plasma (like the live image) ?

p.s. I of course have tried apt-get --purge clean and autoclean !
    Sony Vaio laptop; i7 quad core CPU; 8GB RAM; kubuntu v13.10 x86_64; Nvidia GForce300; BCM4352 802.11/ac;

It is because the software on the live cd is compressed so that when it is installed on the computer all the packages are installed in their uncompressed state.

If you really want a minimal install of KDE then your best option is to install the server edition then install the package plasma-desktop

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
      It is because the software on the live cd is compressed so that when it is installed on the computer all the packages are installed in their uncompressed state.

If you really want a minimal install of KDE then your best option is to install the server edition then install the package plasma-desktop
      Thanks Nick
      Ah, that will be "squashfs" ?
      I've downloaded minimal ubuntu ISO (net install) and will select zero extra packages then use plasma-desktop. will try this tomoz as I'm supposed to be asleep now ready for a 6am commute. cheers pal. will come back with the outcome

EDIT: that's one heck of a compression algorithm!
      Sony Vaio laptop; i7 quad core CPU; 8GB RAM; kubuntu v13.10 x86_64; Nvidia GForce300; BCM4352 802.11/ac;

Comment

I have about a 1 to 2 second pause before any app opens and is ready to use.
        I'm trying to increase system responsiveness and so looking at HDD dir sizes ..
        just done some digging with the "du" command to identify sizeable dirs,

1.8G /var/tmp
        1.4G /var/tmp/kdecache-daz
        (should not /var/tmp be cleaned out on each boot - it isnt on my machine)

300M /usr/share/icons
        400M /usr/share/fonts
        (cant really remove these but could look at trimming them down - but will this make much difference to system responsiveness??)

2.0G /usr/lib
        (loads here and likely to be related to a plethora of programs)

Comment

If the specs in your signature are for your PC, well, that i7 should be way speedy. Size of directories/partitions isn't going to have an impact.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

'Despicable' response - LoL - noting thy avatar

yup , thats my spec, but apps take a second or two to open. Doest seem right hence this thread.
            I'm just using standard kubuntu iso and then added plasma-desktop which didnt add a great deal. My HDD install is some 7.2GB and speed is not way speedy - not at all. Nothing obvious in dmesg - after boot when the system settles there is very little going on and reported in dmesg or /var/log (logs) so there's no hardware issues or at least none being reported - everything works fine - just not as fast as expected

the CPU is reported (/proc/cpuinfo) as quad core , each is Q720 / 1.6GHz - but it should go to 2.8GH with speed-step, is this not supported perhaps in kubuntu?

kernel is 3.11.0-20-generic somewhat forced upon me by bcmwl-kernel-source required for my BCM4352 wifi chip

??

Comment

Originally posted by keratos View Post
              kernel is 3.11.0-20-generic somewhat forced upon me by bcmwl-kernel-source required for my BCM4352 wifi chip
              According to a thread on the Debian forum, this issue was resolved with the current broadcom-sta-dkms package. I just checked my 14.04 system:

Code:
              root@ubuntu:/# apt-cache policy broadcom-sta-dkms
              broadcom-sta-dkms:
                Installed: (none)
                Candidate: 6.30.223.141-1
                Version table:
                   6.30.223.141-1 0
                      500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/multiverse amd64 Packages
              I don't have that model wifi chip to test so I can't confirm the solution, but I would think it worth a try so you can get back to a current ubuntu kernel.

As far as the size and speed of your installed system, it does seem a bit bloated for some reason. My Kubuntu 14.04 is installed on a VM but that should not make a significant difference.

Code:
              root@ubuntu:/# df -h
              Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
              /dev/sda1       8.8G  5.8G  2.6G  70% /
              none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
              udev            479M  4.0K  479M   1% /dev
              tmpfs            99M  1.1M   98M   2% /run
              none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
              none            494M  144K  494M   1% /run/shm
              none            100M   20K  100M   1% /run/user
              root@ubuntu:/#
              Did you try the Ubuntu server version? It might be instructive to install that, alone, on a hard drive (or USB stick) and see what the footprint looks like before you install plasma-desktop on it.

Finally, I assume you know that replacing the hdd with a SSD would speed things up quite a lot.
              Last edited by dibl; May 13, 2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                According to a thread on the Debian forum, this issue was resolved with the current broadcom-sta-dkms package. I just checked my 14.04 system:

Code:
                root@ubuntu:/# apt-cache policy broadcom-sta-dkms
                broadcom-sta-dkms:
                  Installed: (none)
                  Candidate: 6.30.223.141-1
                  Version table:
                     6.30.223.141-1 0
                        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/multiverse amd64 Packages
                I don't have that model wifi chip to test so I can't confirm the solution, but I would think it worth a try so you can get back to a current ubuntu kernel.

As far as the size and speed of your installed system, it does seem a bit bloated for some reason. My Kubuntu 14.04 is installed on a VM but that should not make a significant difference.

Code:
                root@ubuntu:/# df -h
                Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                /dev/sda1       8.8G  5.8G  2.6G  70% /
                none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
                udev            479M  4.0K  479M   1% /dev
                tmpfs            99M  1.1M   98M   2% /run
                none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
                none            494M  144K  494M   1% /run/shm
                none            100M   20K  100M   1% /run/user
                root@ubuntu:/#
                Did you try the Ubuntu server version? It might be instructive to install that, alone, on a hard drive (or USB stick) and see what the footprint looks like before you install plasma-desktop on it.

Finally, I assume you know that replacing the hdd with a SSD would speed things up quite a lot.
                I've resolved it.
                Installed from 13.10 mini ISO.
                + plasma desktop
                + wicd-kde
                + bcmwl-kernel-source

Now a 2.5GB install, lean, mean and responsive.

My previous error was installing kde-desktop instead of plasma-desktop

The whole system is suddenly swift and fast... Although this is likely to be as a result of having 50% less files to search for in the PATH rather than more efficient code.... Heck it's the same binaries whatever and however you install.... For a given arch

Comment

Originally posted by keratos View Post
                  1.8G /var/tmp
                  1.4G /var/tmp/kdecache-daz
                  (should not /var/tmp be cleaned out on each boot - it isnt on my machine)
                  /tmp is cleaned at each boot. /var/tmp is not. The purpose of /var/tmp is to contain information that should persist between reboots.

Comment

Working...
                  X