Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] KDE is gone and cannot be installed.

Samsung SSD Grub 2 (180 GB Kubuntu 14.04 / 60GB Win7)
    Intel Core i7 950
    Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB with latest propriety drivers
    12 GB DDR3

Everything boots fine until after I sign in. KDE is gone and I just get a black screen. I can use keyboard shortcuts to bring up the terminal and run any program's gui and everything seems to work okay except there are also some weird window focus issues which Im guessing are related. When trying to reinstall KDE it tells me that I have missing dependencies that cannot be installed. So I go to install the referenced depency which is plasma-desktop and it says it cant be installed because of missing dependencies that cant be installed and references kxstudio-art-wallpapers. When I try to install that it says that it cant find it.

So I do some googlin' and find one other person with the same problem who said he resolved it by installing the backport kxstudio repos. I did that but apt-get update gives 404 error on those.

Im kind of at a loss of what to do from here. I cant find any information on that package other than the previously mentioned forum post.

As far as what could have triggered it the only thing I can think of is an update I did the night before. I cant remember what was in that update though.

If you can call up Muon, it has a history log. (Ctrl+H)

Have you tried to do a full apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade?

Otherwise, try to rename ~/.kde and restart, this will generate a new default KDE configuration.
    If it doesn't help you can always delete the new .kde and rename the old one back.

Comment

What's the output of
      Code:
      dpkg -l | grep -i plasma
      The dependency solver errors you're describing seem unusual.

Comment

Working...
      X