X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Cannot boot after Muon kde integration upgrade

Hi,

I was looking at Muon and found an additional package that assisted with Firefox integration and different to another package already installed. During the install there was an invitation to restart KDE or KWIN (sorry I was not paying attention) so I hit 'Yes'. The system went into reboot mode and I got the following:

The disk drive for UUID = etc etc is not ready yet or not present
    Continue to wait or press S to skip mounting or M for manula recovery.

* Starting Cups printing spooler/sevrver [ok]

Skipping UUID etc etc at user request
    initctl event failed

* Skipping Mount filesystems ... [ok]

Pushing 's' or 'm' gets the same result and waiting means just that! So how do I get past this little irritation and is this why some people say 'don't use Muon'?
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

This has absolutely nothing to do with Muon. One of your partitions is not mounting or is not present when it is attempting to mount them all.

Comment

Ok noted but it did happen during a 'Muon' inspired restart and the problem still exists!

Comment

Are you able to access all your drives and partitions?

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Mmmm I am using my seond HD which has Bodhi on it hence this communication. So long since I've had issues so rather at a loss as I do not 'fiddle' about these days. Will attempt any suggestions of course. Thanks

Comment

Are you able to boot to a recovery session (single user) from the Grub menu?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by leadwt View Post
              Hi,

I was looking at Muon and found an additional package that assisted with Firefox integration and different to another package already installed. During the install there was an invitation to restart KDE or KWIN (sorry I was not paying attention) so I hit 'Yes'. The system went into reboot mode and I got the following:

The disk drive for UUID = etc etc is not ready yet or not present
              Continue to wait or press S to skip mounting or M for manula recovery.

* Starting Cups printing spooler/sevrver [ok]

Skipping UUID etc etc at user request
              initctl event failed
              ves you
              * Skipping Mount filesystems ... [ok]

Pushing 's' or 'm' gets the same result and waiting means just that! So how do I get past this little irritation and is this why some people say 'don't use Muon'?

Can I assume that after selecting "s", or waiting, eventually gets you to a desktop session?
              If so, first thing to check is is you can see all the drives you are expecting to within Dolphin.

Posting the contents of /etc/fstab
              plus the results of the "mount" command
              and the results of the command
              Code:
              sudo mount -a
              might help see what partition is not found or being mounted at boot.

The error you are getting is that an entry in your fstab can't be found; ie one of the partitions listed in that file can't be located. UUID is an identifier for a partition, and sometimes repartitioning things or installing new OSs on secondary drives can change things, especially if one of the partitions was set up as a particular mount point in the main OS.

Comment

Hi, thanks to both. Full-on at the moment (who says retirement is a lazy life?) and will get back in due course.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello again!

Claydoh

Cannot get into a desktop session the following is via my second HD (sdb) which has the Bodhi on it.

Herewith 'fstab' (via sdb and Krusader)

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                  #
                  # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
                  # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
                  # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                  #
                  # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                  proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
                  # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
                  UUID=67d946ab-fed5-46b4-872c-55c6dbeaf7be / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
                  # /home was on /dev/sda3 during installation
                  UUID=d8c85490-d6a9-486c-bb75-cbf555d07745 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
                  # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
                  UUID=ba2dd8e6-bebe-47ff-b554-fec86441ba26 none swap sw 0 0
                  /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

This is the 'mount' command (from sdb - Bohdi system)

georgie@George:/$ mount
                  /dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
                  proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
                  sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
                  none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
                  none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
                  none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
                  udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
                  devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
                  tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
                  none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
                  none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
                  /dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type ext4 (rw)
                  /dev/sda3 on /media/sda3 type ext4 (rw)
                  /dev/sdb3 on /media/sdb3 type ext4 (rw)
                  /home/georgie/.Private on /home/georgie type ecryptfs (ecryptfs_check_dev_ruid,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryp tfs_key_bytes=16,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs,ecryptfs_sig =c85c23efb0a43ea0,ecryptfs_fnek_sig=486ad55f5bbc43 c2)
                  gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/georgie/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=georgie)
                  georgie@George:/$

'mount a' returned nothing.

Snowhog - got in a couple of times after going into 'recovery' mode but so slow as to be useless. Tried the above when I did get in and the system rebooted!

Hope this helps - putting years on me!

Comment

EDIT: It is the 3rd UUID down the list that is 'not ready' or 'not found'.

Comment

The 3rd UUID points to your swap partition. Did you move/remove that partition? If you did, then after you get to a prompt, edit /etc/fstab and comment (add a # to the beginning of the line) that line, save, and reboot.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

is the fstab from sda? The Kubuntu install?
                        The uuid you say is the one giving you the problem is your sda5 swap partition

The commands I gave really need to be run from the Kubuntu side, which you should be able to do from the grub recovery mode, but you said that going there is problematic. I do see that your bodhi system does not list any swap partition, and usually, any available swap partition will be used

You might try running gparted from bodhi to see if the partition tool sees any problems with sda5
                        you also could temporarily "comment out" the third uuid for Kubuntu's sda5 in the fstab by simply adding a "#" at the beginning of the line with the UUID
                        You would need to do this using kdesudo/gksudo to run the text editor as root. this will keep the fstab line from being read and should allow you to get in to Kubuntu, though you will not have any swap - which should be OK if you have enough ram.

I also noted that Bodhi does not list your floppy drive (fd0 as listed in Kubuntu's fstab) do you have one? If not, you might try commenting out that line first, I think I have heard of systems looking for missing or failed floppy drives can make systems really slow, as you might be seeing while trying to boot innto grub recovery

Comment

Ok thanks for the advice/instructions.

I have from 'gparted' sda5 listed as 'unknown'.

Other stuff yet to do as accessing the system via 'recovery' is not working!! Will perservere . . watch this space (or perhaps not!).

Would a new install work - I have 'home' on its own partition?

Comment

A new install will work, of course but formatting the partition as swap and editing the fstab might be easier/quicker

Do you really have a floppy drive? I wonder this as you say recovery mode is slow - the command line recovery stuff should NOT be slow, so I wonder if it is also searching for that non-existent floppy drive - it used to slow things down like this Back In The Day (tm)

Comment

I do have a floppy - it's in-built with the card readers.

Still having problems accessing via recovery mode but have a new recovery disc on the way which may help!

I went through options in gparted and the only thing I could do initially was to delete the partition - which I did. It has now been reformatted as the Linux-swap so getting there . .

I assume that I could remove the 'floppy' via the BIOS is that an idea?

EDIT 10/5/14.

I have upgraded to the latest LTS 14.04 as, having got in at a workable speed using a rescue disk, I found quite a few broken packages and problems with more than one partition! I can only put that down to a possible HD error(?) Either way the /home had seemed to have been corrupted too plus various other niggles which are beyond me and rather than waste anymore time Ii went for the new install after a reformat. Luckily I have 'lucky backup' installed and so as my last backup was only a week ago I have lost nothing worth worrying about!

Many thanks for the advice - always the best place to come.
                              Last edited by leadwt; May 10, 2014, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X