This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two problems when starting.

I have just converted my neighbour's old XP machine to Kubuntu, and all was well until an update, after which the system hung, I left it for a couple of hours, but nothing happened so I reinstalled (I had originally downloaded from the website and burned an ISO, so I reused that disc), I set everything up again, set the wallpaper to the picture I had placed in the Desktop folder, exactly as I had done before the crash; chosen Firefox as the default browser, as I had before. At this point I lost the connection to the wireless network, it was telling me that it had "No secrets", by which I took it to mean that it had lost the pasword I logged in with during the installation process. Hmm, well, there must be a way to log in again - Fat chance, no wireless manager, so I looked in Muon Discover>System & Settings and there was RutilT WLAN Manager, so I installed it, but it wouldn't run, just threw up an error code, so out that went. I then used a LAN cable and connected it to my router and downloaded a manager, and while installing it via the Konsole, Kubuntu rn a whole load of updates, which all seemed to install correctly. While this was going on, Kubuntu remembered the password! After the update had finished I disconnected the LAN cable and went back on to the wireless network, opened the WiFi manager and, although it is very basic, it will allow me to re-enter the password if required.

Incidentally, I'm ancient, and the last programming I did was on a BBC "B" computer in the mid '80s, so no complicated diving into the Konsole if it can be avoided, unless you are supplying something I can Cut&Paste!

Now the problem - After all this, when the computer is restarted, Firefox opens unasked, and the Homepage has reset itself to the basic Elarun, even though I have, supposedly, "Locked" the desktop - Neither of these things happened before the crash and update.

I can see no way in Firefox itself to prevent it opening, nor in system preferences - Any suggestions?

As for the desktop, the photograph my neighbour wants to use has been placed in the wallpapers folder, chosen and "Apply" then "OK" selected; but when I return to the Desktop organiser the photograph has disappeared from the options. I've looked in the "Wallpapers" folder, but when "Searching" the OS does not allow me to paste a photograph into the Wallpapers folder, what more can I do - Surely its proper place is in the "Desktop" folder along with the two standard offerings. I'm posting this from my own Kubuntu set-up where neither of these things happen.
    Last edited by Bloggsworth; Apr 06, 2014, 05:30 AM.

1) Go to System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown (in the System Administration section) -> Session Management. Change the On Login option at the bottom to Start with an empty session, and then click Apply.

2) To Paste in the Wallpapers folder you need rights/permissions. Use the command: kdesu kate dolphin
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester View Post
      1) Go to System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown (in the System Administration section) -> Session Management. Change the On Login option at the bottom to Start with an empty session, and then click Apply.

2) To Paste in the Wallpapers folder you need rights/permissions. Use the command: kdesu kate dolphin
      Thanks for that, No1 worked, No2 didn't, command not recognised, so I tried sodu etc., which started a whole line of code running, then opened a Kate window that I had no idea to what to do with, I assume I was supposed to type something in, but I've no Idea what - Advice please....

Comment

to start Dolphin with root access
        Code:
        kdesudo dolphin
        you should not need to put the picks in the Wallpapers folder however ,,,,,,,, just right click a blank area of the desktop and click "Default desktop settings" in the window that pops up if you are on the "view"tab at the bottom click "open" and navigate to your pick ,,,,,,select it ,, click open ,,,,,then apply .

VINNY

PS be very careful with a root Dolphin ,,,,you can brake your system if you do the wrong things
        Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 06, 2014, 02:01 PM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

+1
          Last edited by arochester; Apr 06, 2014, 02:21 PM.
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks Vinny, but that didn't work either. I'm not sure exactly what the open Dolphin window has to do with anything, but then, I'm completely devoid of order and method. The puzzler is, that it was working before Kubuntu decided to do a very long thing in Konsole yesterday, and on my own Kubuntu computer it worked by just selecting the picture I wanted, and applying it; perhaps the difference between this Advent and my own Toshiba.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloggsworth View Post
              Kubuntu decided to do a very long thing in Konsole yesterday,.
              and what would that be ?? it dose not just decide to do somthing in the console on its own

perhaps the upgrade did not finish properly ,,,,1- what ver. of Kubuntu is this we are working with? 2-run a
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              and see what you get.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

What I got was pages of code which seemed to be updates, which came to a halt at 59% when, I think, Kubuntu turned off the wifi. I'm posting this from my W7 laptop which is showing that my neighbour's WiFi system is broadcasting a strong signal. As Kubuntu has no equivalent of "Device Manager" I can't get to the WiFi to switch it on. I can toggle it with the hardware switch but that makes no difference, neither does restarting the computer. I'm beginning to think that Kubuntu and Advent computers weren't a match made in heaven! The details of the system are: (and sorry about the single line, but "Return" doesn't work from here) KDELibs Version 4.11.5 Qt Version 4.8.4 Kernel Version 3.11.0-12-generic.

Comment

can you hard wire the box till you can complete the updates ?

you must if the wifi wont work or the box will stay borked

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    can you hard wire the box till you can complete the updates ?

you must if the wifi wont work or the box will stay borked

VINNY
                    That's what I did yesterday, now the LAN port doesn't function either! I'll dig out the ISO & reinstall in the morning - If the DVD drive is still working!

Weird, it's only on my Lenovo that "Enter" doesn't work.

Comment

Nope, it didn't work again today, so I put in the ISO - It took 3 attempts to make that fire up (It kept opening Kubuntu as usual). Then I attempted to log on to the wireless signall - no luck, so I plugged in the LAN cable, and that worked, so It starts again. This time, the first thing I'll do is update. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Nope, it didn't work again today, so I put in the ISO - It took 3 attempts to make that fire up (It kept opening Kubuntu as usual). Then I attempted to log on to the wireless signal - no luck, so I plugged in the LAN cable, and that worked, so It starts again. This time, the first thing I'll do is update. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          to start Dolphin with root access
                          Code:
                          kdesudo dolphin
                          you should not need to put the picks in the Wallpapers folder however ,,,,,,,, just right click a blank area of the desktop and click "Default desktop settings" in the window that pops up if you are on the "view"tab at the bottom click "open" and navigate to your pick ,,,,,,select it ,, click open ,,,,,then apply .

VINNY

PS be very careful with a root Dolphin ,,,,you can brake your system if you do the wrong things
                          thx was wondering how to do that

Comment

Installing Dolphin's "root actions service menu" is a much more civilized way, IMHO, if you don't like going the command line route. IDK why it's not installed by default.
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                              Installing Dolphin's "root actions service menu" is a much more civilized way, IMHO, if you don't like going the command line route. IDK why it's not installed by default.
                              Sorry slow replying will try that aproach thx very much for info didn't know that was possible

Comment

Working...
                              X