X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenGL 3.1 'issue'

Okay, just curious.

I have two laptops. A 32-bit and a 64-bit. Both are running Kubuntu 13.04 and KDE 4.11.1. Both are fully dist-upgraded.

On my 64-bit, I can't utilize OpenGL 3.1 without effecting the Desktop Effects (most get turned off). On the 32-bit, no such issue; I can use OpenGL 3.1.

The difference might be the GPU on each PC. The 32-bit has an Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03). The 64-bit has an Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02).

Anyone able to confirm? Is it possible for me to utilize OpenGL 3.1 on my 64-bit laptop?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

it probably is the gpu. On my laptop (Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller) from circa 2008, I can't use 3.1. Well, I can, but most if not all the effects are disabled.

On my slightly newer desktop (Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset integrated Graphics Controller) I can.

**EDIT**
    Well it looks like it actually is working on the laptop, after switching effects off and on.
    Both are 64 bit.

***EDIT 2***
    Liar liar pants on fire, it is truly using 2.1, despite the effects settings showing ver 3 as enabled, ob both machines.
    Last edited by claydoh; Sep 09, 2013, 02:14 PM. Reason: whelp I lied

Comment

I am lying ^^^^^

Comment

Before I solved my Internet connection problem by reinstalling from scratch 12.05.3, I had KDE 4.11 and OpenGL 3.1 on this i7-3610QM and HD4000 backed by an NVIDA GT 650M using Bumblebee and Primus. Before OpenGL 2 was replaced by 3 I could get 20-30 fps on Stellarium and about 40 fps on Minecraft. With 3 I was lucky to get over 17 fps in Stellarium and about 20-25 on Minecraft.

With 12.04.3 running the nouveau driver (no Bumblebee) and OpenGL 2 with shaders, I get around 60 fps on Stellarium and 50 or so on Minecraft. That's why I locked my video drivers, among other things. I don't want my current capability destroyed by an "upgrade".
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you open kinfo, click on the opengl tree under graphics and it will tell you the direct rendering version and indirect rendering versions that your driver (and hardware) can support.

Just as an aside, that means that if a program, like Minecraft or Stellarium, can use opengl 4.3, they will. The opengl settings in desktop effects only pertain to kwin's compositor, not for all apps.
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Okay, just curious.

I have two laptops. A 32-bit and a 64-bit. Both are running Kubuntu 13.04 and KDE 4.11.1. Both are fully dist-upgraded.

On my 64-bit, I can't utilize OpenGL 3.1 without effecting the Desktop Effects (most get turned off). On the 32-bit, no such issue; I can use OpenGL 3.1.

The difference might be the GPU on each PC. The 32-bit has an Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03). The 64-bit has an Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02).

Anyone able to confirm? Is it possible for me to utilize OpenGL 3.1 on my 64-bit laptop?
            Hit me up with
            Code:
            glxinfo | grep OpenGL
            from both machines if you can.

Comment

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
              OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
              OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
              OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4
              OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
              OpenGL extensions:
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
                OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4
                OpenGL extensions:
                Well there is your answer. Upgrade to a newer *buntu version, preferably 13.04 and you should get a newer mesa version. On Intel HD Graphics, OpenGL 3.1 was introuduced with Mesa 9.0.

Comment

vinny@vinny-HP-G62:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                  Code:
                  OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
                  OpenGL version string: 2.1 [COLOR=#ff0000][B]Mesa 9.0.3[/B][/COLOR]
                  OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
                  OpenGL extensions:
                  ??

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    vinny@vinny-HP-G62:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                    Code:
                    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
                    OpenGL version string: 2.1 [COLOR=#ff0000][B]Mesa 9.0.3[/B][/COLOR]
                    OpenGL extensions:
                    ??

VINNY
                    Does your graphics chip support gl v3.1? A very quick google scan says that you're chipset is limited to 2.1.
                    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                      Does your graphics chip support gl v3.1? A very quick google scan says that you're chipset is limited to 2.1.
                      The reason for your graphics being limited to 2.1 is because you are using Intel GMA graphics which are pretty terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                        Hit me up with
                        Code:
                        glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                        from both machines if you can.
                        From the 64-bit HP, which has 'issues' with 3.1
                        paul@tanagra:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile
                        OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.4
                        OpenGL extensions:
                        From my 32-bit Toshiba which has no problem with 3.1:
                        paul@tanagra2:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
                        OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.1.4
                        OpenGL extensions:
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                          Well there is your answer. Upgrade to a newer *buntu version, preferably 13.04 and you should get a newer mesa version. On Intel HD Graphics, OpenGL 3.1 was introuduced with Mesa 9.0.
                          Actually, I WAS running KDE 4.11 (from PPS) with OpenGL 3 and Mesa 9 and Stellarium gave me 17-20 fps max, Minecraft gave me about 30. I was running Bumblebee for my NVIDIA GT650M. With 12.04.3 and its nouveau driver I am getting 59 fps in Stellarium and about the same in Minecraft. I'm not going to change that.

Comment

Bummer!
                            I had a perfectly running Trusty Tahr .... until this morning's update. When I rebooted I got a blank screen instead of the login screen.
                            When I booted into the recovery screen it wouldn't load and threw me to a console instead.
                            After some testing with "startx" and "startkde" I was able to determine that the boot process was trying to start my nvidia card as the primary system. Intel HD is the primary video and the only way you can use the Nividia chip is to use bbswitch (the BumbleBee switch). Well, the boot process was trying to start the desktop by using bbswitch, which gave a blank screen with backlight.

I was able to break open a console and give an apt-get command to remove nvidia and the bumblebee. During the removal it immediately stated that slightly over 1GB of files were going to be remove, and then proceeded to remove them! I was able then to reboot into a console and from there run startkde, which started up the desktop. Then I rebooted and the desktop came up normally. It's missing GL effects, like transparency behind the conky display. When I tested my acceleration using Stellarium it threw up a box which stated
                            This system does not support OpenGL.
                            I checked using Muon and all the GL apps (libgl1-mesa-*) are installed, but I cannot activate them in the systemsettings desktop advanced tab. I don't know what else was taken out with that 1GB of files. EDIT: It turns out that the nvidia kernel driver is being used, and I had two nvidia drivers installed. One from the repository and one from Nvidia via the proprietary menu option.

EDIT2: With the Nvidia drivers removed and a reboot I have OpenGL again and my canary, Stellarium, gives me 60fps. Now, I have to locate where the 1GB bomb took out by testing my various apps.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 21, 2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Had to reinstall firefox because it losts its folder icons and some other glitz, but things appear back to normal now, especially in the OpenGL department:
                              :~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                              OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.0-rc1
                              OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
                              OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                              OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                              OpenGL core profile extensions:
                              OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0-rc1
                              OpenGL context flags: (none)
                              OpenGL extensions:

Comment

Working...
                              X