This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kde 4.10

I just wondered if anybody has downloaded KDE 4.10, I have just done so and so far it seems to be pretty damned good.

Allot of people have, enough to bring down the archlinux servers

What you should find is it being allot faster then before, including nepomuk which has a new indexer backend which is much better then the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
      Allot of people have, enough to bring down the archlinux servers

What you should find is it being allot faster then before, including nepomuk which has a new indexer backend which is much better then the last one.
      Yes, it does seem to be more responsive, I can't fault it so far.

Comment

Seems faster to me as well, in some cases at *lot* faster. On the flipside I notice I'm getting a lot more sigsegv's and crashes than I have since KDE 4.2. Ugh. I'm downgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by xterminus View Post
          On the flipside I notice I'm getting a lot more sigsegv's and crashes than I have since KDE 4.2. Ugh. I'm downgrading.
          I have had no crashes whatsoever (although I am running 4.10 on Precise).
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I've been running it since the betas, definitely anther big improvement - overall snappier and the new QML stuff looks very sexy and IMO improves the display of information on the desktop.

Akonadi/Nepomuk is pretty stuffed though. Email searching is broken for me. Inconsistent/Wrong /No results. I deleted the db, reinstalled the feeder, let it hig the CPU reindexing for 25 hours staring. Only to have the same old broken seraching.

Oddly enough it did seem to be working briefly in 4.9

And theres another problem - even if searching was magically repaired overnight, after literal years of brokenness I have zero faith in it. If I need to do a reliable search I always go to Gmail now and will be for some time.

Email retrieving/send itself seems quite reliable.

Comment

New Kmix is fantastic!!!!
              New Notifications are great.
              New Printer Management is great.
              Less Memory and CPU!!!
              More general polish...

Comment

Yes, the new kmix is excellent - I used to use veromix but no need for it now. Printer management is pretty slick to. Hell just about everything is slick, the polish is really showing.

Its just as always, despite improvments, nepomuk continues to be the rotten apple in the barrow.

Comment

Originally posted by xterminus View Post
                  Seems faster to me as well, in some cases at *lot* faster. On the flipside I notice I'm getting a lot more sigsegv's and crashes than I have since KDE 4.2. Ugh. I'm downgrading.
                  I suggest testing a new user and see if they suffer from the same problems before trying to downgrade.

Comment

4.10 seems nice, but the update process was a nightmare. Half way through, the update borked and i had to update the repo list again (weird...) and then all my packages got purged. Ive been reinstalling for an hour now.....

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                      4.10 seems nice, but the update process was a nightmare. Half way through, the update borked and i had to update the repo list again (weird...) and then all my packages got purged. Ive been reinstalling for an hour now.....
                      It is sad that this problem occurs far to often in ubuntu based distros

Comment

I have only one 'observation' concerning 4.10. On my 64-bit HP Pavilion [ g7-1070us laptop (Intel Core i3 CPU M 380 / Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) ], if I let it sit idle - no keyboard/mouse activity - something starts driving the CPU and temps rise alot. If I start using the PC, the temps immediately start coming down to normal. Bizarre.

Solved! Turns out Nepomuk Desktop File Indexer is the culprit. When it goes from idle to indexing, the CPU is hit hard and the temps rise. I think I saw in a Google search that there is a bug report against Nepomuk recursively indexing in KDE 4.10. I've disabled Nepomuk Desktop File Indexer and Email Indexing for now.

Yep. Here is the bug report: Bug 312113 - nepomuk 4.9.95 gets stuck on recursive directory structures and uses 100% cpu
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 10, 2013, 11:43 AM.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The upgrade on my laptop had a few snags to workout (same as ScottyK's issues in this thread: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...creen-Problems ), but I found on my desktop that if I un-installed kmahjongg before doing the 4.10 upgrade that everything updated without issue via Muon.

As for Nepomuk, it is something I disable and leave disabled. I don't know if I will ever trust it enough to use and since I have never really utilized it, I don't miss it.
                          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            I have only one 'observation' concerning 4.10. On my 64-bit HP Pavilion [ g7-1070us laptop (Intel Core i3 CPU M 380 / Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) ], if I let it sit idle - no keyboard/mouse activity - something starts driving the CPU and temps rise alot. If I start using the PC, the temps immediately start coming down to normal. Bizarre.

Solved! Turns out Nepomuk Desktop File Indexer is the culprit. When it goes from idle to indexing, the CPU is hit hard and the temps rise. I think I saw in a Google search that there is a bug report against Nepomuk recursively indexing in KDE 4.10. I've disabled Nepomuk Desktop File Indexer and Email Indexing for now.

Yep. Here is the bug report: Bug 312113 - nepomuk 4.9.95 gets stuck on recursive directory structures and uses 100% cpu
                            That sounds like it is doing what is is meant to. Nepomuks backend was split in two for kde 4.10, it now quickly indexes file name/types all the time (and does this very quickly with very little cpu so you wont even notice it) but now the content left to be indexed later when the computer is idle and not on battery power.

To me it sounds like it is doing its job, how long did you leave it for? It can take a few hours to index a large home directory and at least it is no longer interfering with your work as it turns off when you start using your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                              To me it sounds like it is doing its job, how long did you leave it for? It can take a few hours to index a large home directory and at least it is no longer interfering with your work as it turns off when you start using your computer.
                              No, not here. I've been using Nepomuk for quite some time, and I've not seen this effect on my CPU prior to KDE 4.10. The temps rise by nearly 40% over normal when the indexing kicks in. I'm going to wait for the fix to Nepomuk before I reactivate it.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X