This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White dashes on desktop

I having white dashes, each about an inch long and a 16th of an inch thick, sometimes along the top, sometimes along the bottom of the desktop and only periodically. What would cause that and what can I do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

Is it similar to this?:
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...position-error

Comment

No. The lines are solid and run along either the top or the bottom horizontally. I'll see if I can get a screen shot next time it does it.

I'm trying to learn this Linux as quickly and thoroughly as I can, but I am not a professional computer scientist, at least not yet. I do want to advance the cause of free and open source software. I want to use Linux to earn a living. I want to work with Linux, not on Linux.

Is Kubuntu the best distro available. I am planning on learning the Gimp, Blender and Digikam, etc., and putting together a high performance educational and entertaining art gallery/onlne store. I want to make a good decision about this from the start, so I can build a stable, Linux foundation. I've installed Linux about 5 times now. Looked at several Ubuntu and Kubuntu setups. I like it way better than Windows, its very quiet compared to the proprietary software. I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion dv7-7 135us Entertainment PC. I want to turn it into a powerful home office based computer science business system. Thanks

Comment

I'm thinking I should go ahead and reinstall the linux, before I get much farther along in building up my system. I don't want to get all set up and then have to start over again. I would rather fix the problem without reinstalling Linux though, because I already have a pretty decent setup and I don't want to have to redo everything.

Comment

Some thing you might want to try:
          • Make sure your system is fully up to date
          • Create a new user and see if it happens with them as well (if it doesn't then it is one of the config files in your normal users home directory)
          • Try the proprietary drivers for your graphics card (if there are any)
          • Try a different graphics card and or monitor (could be a hardware issue if it is random and intermittent)

If it has been doing it since you installed then a reinstall might not help, but installing the right drivers could. If it happened some time while you where setting up the system then it might be something you did and I would suggest trying the new user trick.

Knowing what graphics card you have might also be helpful as well as anything else you could think of.

Comment

Working...
          X