X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok skins

I dunno....

But, as wonderful as Amarok is... and it really is a wonderful app, it does all that just about anybody could want...

But....

Considering the number of posts that litter the net, going back to 2007....

about the simple thing of wanting to change the "skin"...

that somebody, .....some....body..... would take pity on all those people that would like to change from the default to ANYthing....

that somebody would make one or two skins for all the doofs that just would like to change out the skin once in a while for the halibut.

maybe a skin about halibuts...

dunno...

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Why are so many people obsessed with skinning amarok, why not ktorrent? or Dolphin?

Why not just modify the windowing theme and have all applications be skined togeather? At least that way your desktop dosn't look a mess having every app look nothing like any other app... or have the need to maintain a seperate skin for each application...

But you can "skin" any qt application by passing the --stylesheet <stylesheet.qss> with a qt style sheet attached.

The reason they droped the ability to skin amarok when they moved from 3.5 to 4 is because it is just another layer of skinning ontop of all the other ways we already have to change the apperance of applications... so why maintain yet another way?

Comment

Agree with James. Skins do one of two things: they either make it really, really difficult to have a system wide theme or they make your system a visual nightmare. The only time I ever use skins is when running none qt apps that dont follow the KDE themes well.

Comment

Hi james 147

How about giving an overview to folks as to how to do this:

But you can "skin" any qt application by passing the --stylesheet <stylesheet.qss> with a qt style sheet attached.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          Hi james 147

How about giving an overview to folks as to how to do this:

woodsmoke
          I would suggest changing your winding theme so all your windows match... but if you really want to look up how to write qt style sheet they should not be to hard but I am afraid I haven't actually tried yet I just know it is possible.

Comment

Hi james147

Thanks muchly for the reply but I was thinking more like how to get a skin like this to actually install since there is no "appearance" button in Amarok.

There are multiple dozens of "splash screens" that are in the "themes" at KDE Look, but the splash screen comes and goes in the flash of an eye.

I was able to change the default "I don't have an image for this" by putting another image in the usr/bin file but can't figure out how to either:

a) place the images from the Transparenza file into the appropriate folder(s), by renaming the original and placeing the new.
            or
            b) just add in the file into some "place".

And it may be that there is just no way to put the skin "someplace", so dunno.

woodsmoke
            Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 26, 2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: Removed link - it just pointed back to this post
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I think I got a little lost, what are you trying to achieve by doing this?

Comment

lol
                I want to be able to "add a skin" to Amarok so that it will look kewl!

But, I don't want to also change the "skin" of Calligra, just Amarok. lol

In other words I don't want to change the themes of everything on the OS, just Amarok. Kinda like one can do with .....what is it...qmmp that uses the old xmms skins. lol

woodallaboutdoofstuffsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

So, I'm going to try to revive this thread rather than start a new one.

I have a specific problem with Amarok in that the playlist and file list pane has black lettering on grey, or darker grey horizontal stripes. Makes it very hard to see on our flatscreen TV which the media PC in the living room uses for a display. I've already changed the system font to something MUCH larger, but it is still tough to make it out because of the lack of contrast between the lettering and the background stripes. I love Amarok, but is there any way to change its appearance to something more legible?

And, again, I only want to change Amarok. It is the only offender.

Thanks.

Frank.
                  Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
                    So, I'm going to try to revive this thread rather than start a new one.

I have a specific problem with Amarok in that the playlist and file list pane has black lettering on grey, or darker grey horizontal stripes. Makes it very hard to see on our flatscreen TV which the media PC in the living room uses for a display. I've already changed the system font to something MUCH larger, but it is still tough to make it out because of the lack of contrast between the lettering and the background stripes. I love Amarok, but is there any way to change its appearance to something more legible?

And, again, I only want to change Amarok. It is the only offender.

Thanks.

Frank.
                    Mines fine, but Im not quite sure what you mean. Could you provide a screenshot? Also, what style are you using?

Comment

WhatTheFunk:

I am using the default theme for Kubuntu 12.04, whatever that is. Screenshot attached.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thats exactly what mine looks like. I think its easy on the eyes, but if youre having trouble with it, I think the only thing you can do is tweek the system wide settings. Just had a look through the Amarok menus and there was nothing about personalizing the look.

Comment

I think the only thing you can do is tweek the system wide settings.
                          That is unfortunate. Strange that with all the customization that KDE apps usually allow, something like this is not available in Amarok.

Oh well. Here is my change to try another music player, I guess.

Frank.

Comment

Since the whole system uses the same grey background with black text, wouldnt it be a system wide issue not just in Amarok?

Comment

Since the whole system uses the same grey background with black text, wouldnt it be a system wide issue not just in Amarok?
                              I haven't noticed an issue with other apps, though what you say may be true. I can certainly try another theme.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                              X