X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check disk

Hello,

My laptop felt on the ground and does not want to boot anymore.
    I checked the internal by opening the laptop and everything seems ok.

I have a dual boot system Kubuntu12.10 / Windows7. None of them want to startup.

I managed to start a live image on a USB stick with Kubuntu12.10, although it took longer then normal.
    I checked the harddisk and some files are readable, others are not, so i guess the harddisk is damaged.

Is there some tool to check the health of the harddisk both for the Kubuntu and the Windows partition - ext4 and ntfs?

Already thanks.

When you dropped the laptop, was it running? Normally, if a PC isn't running (powered off) and it is dropped (from a small height), the HDD won't be affected. They are actually built to withstand a reasonably high G-force impact when not running, and of course, a lower G-force impact when in operation.

If you were using the laptop when you dropped it, and you are now not able to boot from the hard drive, it (likely) is physically damaged (heads made contact with the surface of the platters, damaging the surface). You will be better served to have it replaced, and then see how much data you can copy from the damaged drive.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

To check the disk from your boot media:

Win7: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

Kubuntu: select “Check disc for defects” from the options.
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Indeed, the laptop was running and felt from about one meter...
        Can i check and try to repair the harddisk? i know it has only a small change.

tx...

edit: second post simulianious... i will try it.

Comment

Working...
        X