X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taskbar button opening as separate entity

Hi all,

I have tried to register in the official KDE forums, but for some reason it isn't letting me so I've come on here hoping to get an answer if possible.

The issue is that I have an icon on my taskbar, (currently just Google Chrome until I get this sorted) which I would like to act like in Windows where when I click it, it turns into the window of Chrome. However, this is not happening. When I click on the icon, Chrome opens, but as a window next to the icon. Is there anyway I can get this to perform the same way as with Windows so I don't get separate window/icon entities?

Open the panel settings, remove the standard task manager widget, and add the icon-only task manager widget. Now, when you run an application from Kickoff or KRunner, you'll see the application's icon in the task manager. Right-click this icon and choose Show a launcher when not running.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Open the panel settings, remove the standard task manager widget, and add the icon-only task manager widget. Now, when you run an application from Kickoff or KRunner, you'll see the application's icon in the task manager. Right-click this icon and choose Show a launcher when not running.
      At least on the latest versions of KDE, you can also do that with the regular task manager, so you don't have to switch to icon-only task manager if you prefer the regular one.

Comment

Being the lazy non-windows user, just lazy , but I do not understand what the desired action is

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          At least on the latest versions of KDE, you can also do that with the regular task manager, so you don't have to switch to icon-only task manager if you prefer the regular one.
          You're right...it's been so long since I used the regular one that either it changed behavior or I forgot (the latter is probably more likely). I just added a second panel with regular task manager to check. However, I noticed that when you launch more than once instance of something, the second instance appears as a separate item on the regular task manager, while the icon-only task manager indicates this with a green plus sign over the icon.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Being the lazy non-windows user, just lazy , but I do not understand what the desired action is
            Something like this:

...which the icon-only task manager is a very close approximation of.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              However, I noticed that when you launch more than once instance of something, the second instance appears as a separate item on the regular task manager, while the icon-only task manager indicates this with a green plus sign over the icon.
              It should work with the right grouping options (group by name and not only when task bar is full)...at least it works with smooth tasks, didn't try the regular manager. But you are of course correct in that the icon-only manager matches the windows tasks more closely.

Comment

Working...
              X