Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Animated image from web page running on desktop in background (sort of)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animated image from web page running on desktop in background (sort of)

Greetings,

I need a little assistance. I live in the State of Pennsylvania, USA and use ez pass. The ez pass web site: http://www.paturnpike.com/ezpass/ezpassINTRO.htm

has an animated image file on its web page. I notice that when the page is open in my browser and either the browser is minimized or not the image will "bleed" into the upper left corner background of another application that I am running. I've noticed this in nexuiz and Dolphin (havn't tried other apps. When I move the window away from the upper left corner or move my player I can see the image appear on the screen on the background of the app. A present I don't believe that it is doing anything nefarious, however I can't be sure. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen all the time. So I'm looking for some suggestions regarding seeking out this intruding anomaly. Any ideas?

Regards,

The couch_potato

cat /etc/lsb-release | grep DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
    $ lscpu
    Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 4
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 4
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
    CPU family: 16
    Model: 4
    Stepping: 2
    CPU MHz: 800.000
    BogoMIPS: 6027.90
    Virtualization: AMD-V
    L1d cache: 64K
    L1i cache: 64K
    L2 cache: 512K
    L3 cache: 6144K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3

$ lspci | grep VGA
    06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] (rev a2)

$ uname -rn
    3.2.0-31-generic
    Last edited by Couch_Potato; Sep 30, 2012, 02:10 PM. Reason: added my system specs
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001 nVidia driver version 304.43
    Kubuntu 12.10
    kernel: 3.5.0-23-generic

Hi
    I don't see it in FF with Dolphin on my particular machine. I tried a lot of buttons.

I did get a "ghost" "drag" when I moved over the icon that lasted a few seconds.

Is there any possibility that it is an "overscan" situation because of the video card?

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I suppose you mean that purple box? It's a Flash object. Do you see this "bleedthrough" if you open a Dolphin window over a browser page with a Flash object from some other website?

Comment

Steve, woodsmoke thx for your replies. Steve, yes that purple box. I got the "shadow" when I moved a FF or Chromium windows over the upper left hand corner of the screen. However, after posting to the forums, I added the backports ppa and upgraded. I don't see the 'bleeding' of the flash image anymore. I know don't have the folder view on the desktop any longer.

Regards,

The Couch_Potato
        M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001 nVidia driver version 304.43
        Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

Ooops,

Check that I just minimized chromium with the ezpass tab active and got the image right in the middle of the screen. Do'in its thing. I'll minimize again with that tab active again and...
          Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

Interesting. It actually doesn't show up on the desktop, it appears in the current FF tab. So I have both browsers' open, the ezpass tab active. I minimize chromium and the flash image appears in the active tab of the now active ff window. Not pretty.
            Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

That's freaky.

Close all browsers. Recreate the above situation, and then in a Konsole run:

Code:
              lsof | grep flash
              Paste the output here. Enclose it CODE tags, please.

Comment

Okay here goes:

Code:
                ~$ ps aux | grep flash
                user  24899 18.8  2.0 595360 81724 ?        Sl   22:27   0:07 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --type=plugin --plugin-path=/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so --lang=en-US --channel=24635.22.1615013225
                user   24919  0.0  0.0  27804  1188 pts/2    S+   22:28   0:00 grep --color=auto flash

~$ lsof | grep flash
                chromium- 24899     terryg  mem       REG                8,1  19216944   667902 /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                It now just appears as a solid color in the upper left hand corner of an blank tab. I just tried a screen shot and it won't appear like a vampire in a mirror. Spooky...

Couch
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 02, 2012, 12:54 PM.
                Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

Hm, only one process. I was sort of guessing that maybe two Flash instances might be running, one for Firefox and one for Chromium, and they were fighting over the screen buffer or something. I'm stumped!

Comment

Could it be an unexpected feature?
                    Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

I'm unable to duplicate what you see on any of my computers, so probably not. But since I don't live in Pennsylvania, perhaps I'm not allowed to see this "special treatment" you seem to receive

Comment

Working...
                      X