Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] I can't get rid of a desktop icon.

I am running 12.04 and I had installed the Unison File Synchronizer program. I used a right click from the main menu to place an icon for it on my desktop. I decided to remove the program from my computer using Muon to do so. The program is now gone but it left an icon on my desktop with the title "unison2.27.57-gtk.desktop." When I check the properties for the icon it says that it is a desktop configuration file with a 0 Byte length. There seems to be no way to simply delete the icon and I have searched the whole computer try to find the file for it. Can anyone tell me how to delete this icon?

Are you using the standard KDE desktop (with widgets), as opposed to the Folder View (classic folders and icons on your desktop)?

If so, desktop icons are actually plasma widgets. To delete it, first make sure you unlock widgets by right-clicking on your desktop somewhere, and selecting that option if they are locked. Then, if you hover your cursor over the icon, you should get a little panel to one side were you can click the "X" to delete it.

Comment

I have eight icons on my desktop, six of which do have the little panel that pops out when I hover over them. Two don't have the panel, Firefox and the unison icon in question. I don't know why those two are behaving differently that the others.
      Thanks.

Comment

Still nothing on this problem? The caption on the icon is "unison2.27.57-gtk.desktop". I have searched everywhere for that as a file name or as contents of a file and I still can't find it. It's got to be somewhere since it's showing up on my desktop. There just doesn't seem to be any way of getting rid of it.

Comment

Open a console and type:
          Code:
          sudo find / -name unison2.27.57-gtk.desktop
          Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 05, 2014, 04:06 PM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had asked about this on the KDE Plasma forum and with help I found the references in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc. I edited the file with plasma disabled and then restarted plasma and the icon was gone.

Comment

Working...
            X