X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Gmail SENDING requires application specific password Google

Hi
    This is new to me so bear with me.

These passwords are designed to "keep Picasa, Outlook express, yada yada, etc, "safe" ".

One can RECEIVE gmail just fine without an "application specific password", but if one wants to send through Gmail with Kontact/Kmail/Akonadai, one has to have it.

I had not actually LOOKED at the "backend" of Google services since I last did the Akonadai thing with Kontact and Google.

If you have not done it with Quantal, one sees a big screen that is either the actual login screen or one similar to it, to hook Akonadai to Gmail.

If one goes to the "back end " of Google here is what one sees:
    There are also "revoke" buttons at the end of each line:

Authorized Access to your Google Account
    Connected Sites, Apps, and Services
    You have granted the following services access to your Google Account:

Akonadi Resources for Google Services — Google Contacts, Google Calendar
    Akonadi Resources for Google Services — Tasks, Google Calendar
    Akonadi Resources for Google Services — Google Contacts
    www.google.com — Google Calendar
    Akonadi Resources for Google Services — Tasks, Google Contacts, Google Calendar
    Notice that one does not see anywhere in there google mail.

Below that is the thing about doing the application specific password.

It is greyed out until you get it, I will provide a link to Google's video explaining it,

BUT THE CUT TO THE CHASE IS THAT IT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT AKOADAI IS DESIGNED TO INTERACT WITH.

THERE IS NO PLACE TO "PUT" it, one puts it in the normal password box.

Essentially one gets a password sent to the phone, or e-mail, and enters that for the phone.

Then one gets access to the "two step" part at the bottom, and you put it in there.

One then goes to another screen with all of the possible things that can hook to google, and there are a LOT of them, Tbird, etc. are mentioned specifically.

One goes back and forth with the application specific password and normal password twice and then it works.

So, NOT a problem with Kontact/Akonadai/Kmail.

Apparently, I just had never had fully enabled Kmail up until now.

Here is the video at You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMabEyrtPRg

If there is anyone with questions, feel free to ask, but I don't know that I can help much.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

It did occur to me that every time that one sets up a NEW release one will have to repeat all of this, unless one can somehow save the particulars in "settings" and transport them.

If someone want's to post a specific way to specifically transport e-mail settings, people might like it in the future.

don't know, just thinkin'

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Apparently the situation has been around since 2011:

How do I configure Thunderbird to use 2-step authorization for Gmail?
      I'm trying to configure portable thunderbird to back up my Gmail, but cannot figure out how to configure Thunderbird to prompt for my authorization code from Google.

Feross Aboukhadijeh, Gmail user since 2004.
      3 votes by Matt Shaver, Bhargav Joshi, and Ricardo Marques

Some mobile or desktop applications that work outside of a browser aren't yet compatible with 2-step verification. These applications are hard-coded to ask for a username and password, and do not prompt for a verification code. If you want one of these applications to access your Google Account, you must enter an application-specific password, not your Google Account password, when asked for a password.
      Create an application-specific password here:
      http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-config...tion-for-Gmail

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X