X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP host does not accept plain

Hi

EDIT NO TWO PROBLEM IS NOT KONTACT OR KMAIL. PROBLEM IS THAT NOW GOOGLE WANTS an "application specific password" it is a set of random numbers that are generated by google sent to your phone for entry into the account into google for the phone.

When you do that then you can get another "application specific password" for Kontact.

PLEASE SEE MY POST HERE for particulars

EDIT: I just installed Thunderbird, did absolutely ONE thing in Thunderbird, that was, I entered my google e-mail address and it set itself up,

I then sent myself the e-mail that Kmail will not send.

There are about a jullion forum threads littering the net on "server does not accept Plain" and at least ten of them are concerning Kmail and two of them are from 2011.

So this is a bug,

BELOW IS THE ORIGINAL POST. WITH EDITS

I tried to e-mail myself a document from within Kmail and got this error.

I have not lately set up Kmail on the outgoing side, because I assumed that maybe the e-mail services had got their act together and when you did incoming you automatically got outgoing.

Incoming works fine.

G-mail itself works fine.

However when trying to send from within Kmail I get this error:

Failed to transport message. Your SMTP server does not support PLAIN. Choose a different authentication method. The server responded: 5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...y?answer=14257 i2sm257083obn.19
    The username and password work fine at Google, the setup Kmail box won't let me use anything except "clear text" which then, apparently defaults back to "plain" when I'm not watching but the server "accepts" in advanced:

SSL/TLS
    Clear text

In other words I can put PLAIN in Kmail and the whole shebang does not work, when I put in Clear Text it is working but I get the error.

Kmail/Akonadai does not allow one to edit outgoing SMTP server information very much, it is, I guess, supposed to be somewhat automagical, that may or may not be a good thing.
    Any comments?

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 09, 2012, 08:26 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

After you read this read my edited post below.

This is too funny/sad/pitiful/astounding/I can't think of any more descriptive terms.....for words.

When Thunderbird was setting itself up for me, it asked if I wanted it to be my default e-mail client.

I ticked yes, even though I prefer the Kontact suite.

I just opened the document and tried to "send as e-mail" from within the document.

It popped what SEEMED to be Kmail again, and I figured what the he double hocky sticks... and clicked SEND....and....

It SENT.....! woah!

So I figgers that I'll try to send from within Kmail the original e-mail which would not send.

No go...

So....I then tried to just send the document again, from WITHIN itself, and loop it back to gmail, and it....WENT...

In other words......

What is OBVIOUSLY happening is that Kmail won't send and it is handing off to Thunderbird.

Or

The document defaults to the Kmail INTERFACE, in otherwords I see this "e-mail thing" that has Kmail in the top panel.,...but it is SENDING with Thunderbird.

So.....the fix to use Kmail for sending is to install Thunderbird, and tick "use Thunderbird as default e-mail client."

And when you want to send from within a document...it will go....lol

how pitiful!

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 05, 2012, 10:59 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Ok I set up an IMAP account to work through my college, When I popped to send an e-mail Kmail defaulted that my e-mail addy was my google mail addy.

I changed that to my college e-mail addy, which is IMAP, and sent it TO my g-mail account and it sent and was received.

So by the process of elimination:

the BUG is with Akonadai/Kmail/G-mail interaction.

Since Thujnderbird is able to send "from" the g-mail account, and Kmail is able to send from the college IMAP account,

Since this seems to be an ongoing and continuously irksome "bug/problem" between Akonadai/Kamil/Googlemail IMAP account....

Possibly the EASY WAY OUT...is to set up Google mail to be POP.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...n&answer=13273

I, however am not going to go to the trouble to do that, I am just going to use Thunderbird for e-mail and Kontact for calendaring since I don't like the way Evolution configures a calendar.

again...how pitiful.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sounds like you're having trouble getting outbound email to work. So switching to POP won't help, as that's a mail retrieval protocol. I also notice you mention trying to use port 993; that's for IMAPS, another retrieval protocol.

To configure KMail to talk to Gmail's SMTP servers, configure your outbound account thusly:

Server: smtp.gmail.com
        Protocol: TLS
        Port: 587 (this is the Submission port, used for SASL-protected mail relay)
        Authentication: PLAIN

Mine works this way perfectly.

Comment

Hi
          I'll try that when I get back to the apartment, however, the new setup in advanced tab does not allow one to specify the outgoing server:

Server: smtp.gmail.com

I tried various ports and none of them worked, but will try that one.

thanks

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Here's mine. KMail 4.9 on Kubuntu 12.10.

General tab, which includes the field to indicate the outbound mail relay:

Advanced tab, which includes the fields for encryption, port, and authentication:

Comment

Hi SR
              Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work.

And using KDE 4.9.00 on Quantal Beta from the forum, my general and advanced tabs look very little like yours and there is no setup for SMTP.

if you want I'll take some screenys and upload them.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

humm Kmaile works fine hear , just sent myself a test email to my Gmail Acct. and it went thrugh just fine.

althoughmy settings are different on the advanced tabe that SR has posted below , mine is

encryption= SSL
                port = 465
                Authentication = PLAIN

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

LoL amazing about how we all have the same thing but it is all different! LoL

I tried your settings and no go.

Here are my general and advanced tabs:

woodsmoke
                  Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 06, 2012, 09:02 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Woody, those are config screens for inbound mail -- the Receiving tab of the Accounts page. Instead, you configure outbound mail servers on the Sending tab.

Comment

SR you are quite correct but the same setting occur in the sending tab and still nothing happens.

port 465, SSL, plain, etc.

If I "autodetect" in the sending tab it goes to port 25 but still does not send.

When I change the port it defaults back to 993 when I close the app.

I have changed every setting to every iteration of the setting that I can think of and it later defaults back to the original setting and still doesn't work.

I've searched the web and entered multiple numbers some of them keep the Akonadi interface(green ball) working but still not sending, or it says connection broken.

What occurs in one tab is repeated in the other, receiving works, sending does not.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I find it highly unusual that KMail would revert the SMTP port to be that of the IMAPS port. Would you mind posting screenshots of your sending config before and after restarting KMail?

Comment

To expand on the previous.

i can change the password type to any of the iterations and after I close and try to send it does not work and I look in the settings and it has changed back to plain.

However, during the sending, I assume that it was, indeed changed, to login etc.

The port will change back to 993 for sending and the ssl changes to tls. or sometimes it changes back,

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, etc. still no joy.

Like I said in the first post there are other threads on the net about this exact same problem for:

a) other e-mail clients
                          b) Kmail some years ago
                          c) Kmail this last year (three that I found).

Again, sending works to the college, but not to gmail.

Again, sending works to gmail using Tbird which did things automagically.

woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

To expand on the password authentication again.

Usually, but not always, I can change the type of authentication to any of the other types, such as "login" and after trying to send, it has defaulted back to plain and the port has defaulted back to 993. This is in the SEND tab.

In T-bird, the port is 465, the authentication method is "Normal password", and connection security is SSL/TLS.
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

PLEASE SEE MY POST IN ANOTHER THREAD:

Gmail SENDING requires application specific password Google

woodsmoke
                              Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 09, 2012, 10:27 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X