Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simon Speech Recognition article on front page.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon Speech Recognition article on front page.

Again, the reason for this post is because it will soon go bye-bye from the front page, and we should have a permanent link to it here at the forum.

I think that speech recognition is of PARAMOUNT importance for the future of computing.

Vista did/and does it hands down dead easy.

When I have a lot of text to enter for the college I use the Vista machine and just talk it in. It saves in wordpad and I then copy and paste it.

The training for it took abut....... FIVE MINUTES.... dead simple.

When I broached this a year or so ago at KDE and at OO, I was told that was "not on the radar".

Apparently they spoke with...hmmmm less than great candor.

Anyway.....here is a link to the article.

http://dot.kde.org/2012/04/08/simon-...ject-moves-kde

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    When I broached this a year or so ago at KDE and at OO, I was told that was "not on the radar".

Apparently they spoke with...hmmmm less than great candor.
    It was obviously ... under the radar.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

You can download a 32bit version of Simon here:
      http://www.simon-listens.org/index.php?id=122&L=1

Another thing I noticed is that the article mentioned Tony Unrau, the fellow who wrote the initial articles about the features of Qt 4.0 and showed people how to use them For doing that simple service he was the focus of an intense amount of .... hatred... no other term suffices. He made a comment in one post about a Ted Talk by Google developers called "Poisonous Users", and it sent the serpent breed into a hissing rage. Of course, in "reporting" what he said around various forums they misquoted him to favor their POV. He got tired of it (no good deed goes unpunished) and quite. Then they had no instruction at all and no one to rage at. Quite frankly, they WERE poisonous users, and unnecessary ones at that. Like I said at the time, any guest in your house who doesn't know or care where the bathroom is and "vents" on your living room walls really doesn't care about your home at all.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

http://www.simon-listens.org/wiki/in...installation_2

There was talk about attempting to package this for Precise, just initial brainstorming ideas, but a needed component is not licensed to be in the repos. KDE has extremely limited accessibility as tools such as Orca simply do not work there. Simon would be a big help in reducing that gap and perhaps exceeding others in some areas.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Claydoh!

I tried to install the 32 bit deb package but the ia32libs still have unresolved conflicts. So, with the info you've supplied, I am going to attempt to compile it from the source.

It is getting harder and harder to see the screen or accurately type with the keyboard or click with the mouse because of hand shakes. A verbal interface would be nice to use.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Well, Claydoh, got it compiled and installed, along with the 64bit version of Simon from SourceForge. The only tricky part was after running "./configure" to edit all the "Makefile"'s in all the directories to remove the "-m32" compiler directive so it would create a 64bit version. I haven't read the docs yet, but when I first fired it up it wanted to do everything in German. Haven't found the setting to switch from "de" to "en" yet, but I'm looking. Fun, fun, fun! :cool:

Comment

http://sourceforge.net/projects/spee.../Ubuntu/10.10/ the 10.10 packages for amd64 seem to install and work fine, at least to the setup process, so far

Comment

and the setup/config process is a bit involved, especially as I don't have time to figure it out atm

Comment

Yup, I used the 10.10 as well, and it compiled nicely. When I get the setup figure out I'll post my results here.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Yup, I used the 10.10 as well, and it compiled nicely. When I get the setup figure out I'll post my results here.
                    You lost me with the compile, there are 10.10 debs that work

oh, ok you must be compiling the htk libraries. I didn't do that part, just wanted to see how it installed and ran - htk is supposed to be optional, but I don't see how simon is of any use without it/

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      You lost me with the compile, there are 10.10 debs that work

oh, ok you must be compiling the htk libraries. I didn't do that part, just wanted to see how it installed and ran - htk is supposed to be optional, but I don't see how simon is of any use without it/
                      Yup, the HTK tool is the one in which you have to remove all the "-m32" switches from ./configure and the Makefiles in the sub-directories before you compile, IF you are on a 64bit system.

Without HTK? I don't see it either. HTK is supposed to give it a LOT more AI power when interpreting speech.

The HTK manual is over 330 pages long! It is also a command line tool. I've just got into training Simon by feeding it words (text) and speaking the words.

Comment

Working...
                      X