This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how remove, get rid of, activity KDE plasma

A) The instructions on the net for "zooming out" do not work.
    B) the viedeos on the net about "zooming out" do not work.
    C) This works.

http://userbase.kde.org/images.userb...-remove-45.gif

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The absolutely LOUSY marketing/instructions provided by the devs of KDE on how to enable and to remove ANY of the plasma stuff is just astounding.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 23, 2012, 04:56 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

So that's not actually "getting rid" of KDE Activities. It simply shows how to stop and then delete an activity. Based on my experimentation, it isn't possible to eliminate every activity, but you can reduce your configuration to have only a single activity in which you do all your work.

Comment

You SR because you are a very intelligent person, indicate one of the BIG PROBLEMS with the whole way this has been handled.

Many of the "posts" on the net about this use the terms "get rid of". So, the NEW BEFUDDLED USER is floundering around finding posts about "get rid of" and then after searching through ten screens of posts finds out from a dev, that "get rid of" is not the correct term. And then on top of that the original poster got a condescending attitude(not yours, kind sir, but the others).

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

If I were to compile a 'bucket list', I would put on it "Get together with woodsmoke" over a glass of ones favorite libation (or two, or three, or....) and 'chew the fat'. Of course, even though the persona that is projected 'on line' is no guarantee that the same is true in real life, I think that I would enjoy the encounter.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ummmm, I greatly appreciate the compliment, and would be more than glad to "tip a few"....but....

unfortunately, what you see is what you get, although a few of my students averr that I am a passebly tolerable person. lol

woodbasicallyatikiguysmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 23, 2012, 11:35 PM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Ah, a laid back kind of guy! What's not to like?

Your sandals look similar to mine... are they "Columbia"'s?
            (I've worn sandals exclusively in all weather for the last 10 years, every since I got hit by a pickup while riding my bike to work and my right foot got messed up. In really cold weather I have these silk, knee high socks that have threads of aluminium ribbon, like foil, stretching from just above the calf muscle down to the toes. They conduct heat from the calves to the toes. Covered with a similar wook stocking my sandal covered feet have survived comfortably in near zero weather.)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, yes they are your geekness!

And, that thing about your socks is interesting I will tell a friend of mine who does something similar.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                silk, knee high socks that have threads of aluminium ribbon, like foil, stretching from just above the calf muscle down to the toes. They conduct heat from the calves to the toes
                Socks with aluminium heat sinks, eh...where do you mount your exhaust fans?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Socks with aluminium heat sinks, eh...where do you mount your exhaust fans?
                  Oh that question is just too good to pass up!

Every human has a built in exhaust port!
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    A) The instructions on the net for "zooming out" do not work.
                    B) the viedeos on the net about "zooming out" do not work.
                    C) This works.

http://userbase.kde.org/images.userb...-remove-45.gif

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The absolutely LOUSY marketing/instructions provided by the devs of KDE on how to enable and to remove ANY of the plasma stuff is just astounding.

woodsmoke
                    Whee the wonders of the 'net search dragging in old outdated info

I really couldn't come up with anything to add to the exhaust port theme

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

LOL, I tossed that out there just for you, Snowhog

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

Ok, the only thing I could come up with is a peculiar adaptation of a Stillsuit, powered by exhaust. Not good for keeping friends, I am sure, unless it has some sort of filter.

Yes, I am very very, um, exhausted :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          some sort of filter
                          Judging from their product list, that manufactuer is sending a subtle signal about its evaluation of men vs. women

Comment

OK I still am asking the original question.

I can now "make" an activity, and save the activity, and re-use the activity.

But I do not want to do that forever.

I really do like my plain vanilla old plasma situation with four virtual desktops.

So I am going to list some search phrases for other people who might be searching and the reason for that is very simple.

There are a LOT of posts LITTERING THE NET that SAY.....you can....."quit/stop/get rid of/remove/ etc." activities but nobody SAYS HOW TO DO IT...

stop the activities and go to default KDE plasma desktop

stop the activities and regain the default KDE plasma desktop

stop the activities and revert to the default KDE plasma desktop

quit the activities and go to default KDE plasma desktop

quit the activities and regain the default KDE plasma desktop

quit the activities and revert to the default KDE plasma desktop

stop the activities and go to default KDE plasma desktop

stop the activities and go to the default KDE plasma desktop

stop the activities and revert to the default KDE plasma desktop

stop the activities and get back the regular KDE plasma desktop

How do I get my KDE plasma desktop back

How do i quit activities and get my KDE Plasma desktop back.

so.....again.............I am asking a plain question that every body "says can be done" but...I can't figure it out.

If I click "leave" I get the normal restart but I get the activities back.

So.......I think that any body who might want to follow my very specific instructions about exactly how to make an activity might not necessarily want to continually be using their activity so...I am asking.

What do I do to get back to the original, default, came with the live cd, KDE plasma desktop whereupon one merely placed widgets?

I await breathlessly....pant, pant, pants on fire!!!

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Ok, that was a bit much lol

Well what you are now asking isn't quite the original question, at least not how I read it.

Activities are always part of Plasma desktop, even if you only use one. Simply use the stop button to disable any unwanted Activities and then delete all thosw unwanted extra Activities. The magic X button next to each one is magical that way

Now not knowing what you have already done in terms of activities, you may want to create an Empty Desktop activity first, then delete all the others as described above. This Empty Desktop will have the default wallpaper, so all you will need to do is add any widgets to it. You edit virtual desktops as normal, either from the panel widget (add it back if you do not have it on your panel) or within system settings.

Using a hammer to reset to a default stock desktop setup is to leave KDE and delete ~/.kde/share/config/activitymanagerrc and ~/.kde/share/config/<anything-beginning-with-plasma>

This will reset all your panel widgets and desktop settings to default upon logging in

Comment

Working...
                              X